What if? 2

Another "what if?"

What will happen if Corvan gets sick?

Eleven members of the Celestial Circle were already seated at the dining table. It was time for their breakfast but they could not start eating yet. Someone was missing and they could not help but feel a bit concerned.

"Why can't we start eating?" Keelan asked while eyeing the delectable dishes hungrily. They knew that if they would permit it, he would really wolf down the food by now.

Elfre noticed that Keelan's hand was already half way towards the food, so without any reserve, she grabbed the nearest available material she could get her hands on and swatted his hands with it.

"Don't you dare eat without us." she threatened. "You can't just enjoy eating while the rest of us are starving."

"That hurt!" Keelan scowled while holding his offended hand. "You can't blame me. I'm already hungry. Can we just eat without him?"

"No. We have to wait." Aneeka snapped at him for being impatient.

"Where is he anyway?" Raziel asked. "we can't just eat and leave without him." 

The rest of the Celestial Circle just looked at one another. They have been waiting for the past ten minutes. They needed to have their breakfast but the first ranker was yet to make his appearance.

"That's odd." Charles remarked. His brows furrowed deeply. "It was quite unusual for Lord Corvan to wake up this late. Usually, he was one of the first three people to get up."

"I had checked on him earlier and he called out that he would be down in a few minutes." Rowe answered.

"Then, what's up with him?" Tamara asked.

They looked one another while trying to figure out what was wrong with Corvan. Since no one knew the answer, they came up with the most logical thing to do: go upstairs and see what the first ranker was up to.

They agreed on that aspect however there was one problem. Although no one would admit it, no one from the circle would want to risk his/her neck in going up to the first ranker's room. They didn't want to be shouted at by the young lord, in case he had woken up at the wrong side of the bed.

"So, who's going upstairs?" Zevlin asked.

As if they had mental telepathy or something, all of their eyes feed towards the direction of one person

"Why is everyone looking at me?" Valeriana asked when she noticed that all eyes were on her.

The other rankers just smiled sheepishly and she knew that they had silently voted for her to check on Corvan.

"All right! You guys can eat without us. I'll just see what Corvan is doing." Valeriana sighed before standing up and making her way towards the stairs.

"I really don't like this." she grumbled as she went on her way to the first ranker's room with utmost resentment.

As she was ascending the staircase, her heart pummeled. She did not know why but for some strange reasons she suddenly got nervous. It was not the first time she had gone to the first ranker's room. For almost two months that she had been staying here, she had entered the other rankers' room a few times, especially when they had asked her to do several favors.

She knocked softly at the door and waited for Corvan to answer. However, she was greeted by an uncomfortable silence. After a few more knocks, which were answered by the same silence, she mustered her courage and opened the door.