Chapter 4

THANKS FOR READING THIS FAR! WOW THANKS A HEAP!!!!

Yep, as promised, ACTION/MYSTERY BEGINS IN THE NEXT CHAPTER! EXCITED? Cassie:)

Confused, I made my way quickly home, being extra careful not to run over any innocent trick-or-treaters. A had gone home early, about half way through the show, I hope she was allright. I feel horrible about taking her with me when she was in such a state! I've never seen her like this, never seen her cry like that before. I wanted to throw my fist through Darren's face so bad at the moment for what he did to her!

I gritted my teeth and kept driving, my hands clenched tightly around the steering wheel to stop me from punching some important piece of engineering part of the car. I knew nothing about car parts and engineering and all that sort of stuff, and knowing my luck, if I did punch something in the car, it would most likely be some mega important bolt or screw or engine or something like that.

But how could he do such a thing? He knew where she stood on this topic! Did A tell me everything? Did she really stop him or did he...

I yelled at annoyance and finally gave in, punching the radio/CD part of the car. The music crackled a bit before stopping completely. I had to admit that punching the stereo did help calm me down... a bit.

People littered the streets, all dressed up as ghosts, vampires, werewolves, devils etc. They each each had smiles plastered on their face. I guess why wouldn't you? You dress up and go around knocking on doors and you get free food! Poor, innocent, short sighted children.

I bet they didn't know how many child abductions there are on the night of Halloween, think about it, if you were some freaky messed up person after kids, Halloween offers you a banquet of fresh children who are mostly unsupervised. Drives the detectives up the wall because it's so hard to pinpoint suspicious people when so many normal people are dressed up like ghouls and stuff. Well, dressing up as ghouls doesn't really count as normal in my books, so I'll change that to innocent people dressed up as ghouls and stuff.

Red light. Slam on the breaks. Kids crossing street. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop! Car's not slowing down. Maybe I did break something important when I punched it, like the breaks? Stop! More kids. No one knows what's happening. Stop! It's not stopping! Break. Now. Start. Working. Please. Stop! No! Stop! Now! Almost there. Kids are close. Car won't stop. Stop, stop STOP!

A little witch quickly ran out of my way, pulling her younger vampire brother with her out of the way of my car. Demons of every sort and kind were staring at me accusingly, holding each other close and making sure they were ok.

I sighed in absolute relief.

Everyone was ok, the car stopped just in time, thank goodness those two kids were paying attention!

Where's your psychic powers now, hey? Bet you didn't see that comming! that little annoying voice inside my head snarled. I pushed it quickly out of my thoughts.

I can't keep driving with no breaks, that would be insane! But where can I go? I can't just pull over for the rest of the night. Wait a sec, where am I exactly?

I looked around quickly and cursed myself for being so stupid. I was so wound up in my own thoughts I'd missed the last turn off. Now it will take me twice as long to get home! Wait a second, isn't this...

I cursed myself once more for being so absolutely positively stupid. I was at the intersection exactly one street away from Darren's house.

A large part of me still wanted to punch his face in for what he did, but I wasn't especially eager to be on the assult list, I highly doubt that would do much good for my future. But then what was I going to do? Stay here all night? There's no way I could go all the way home with faulty breaks. Darren was, I think, good with cars wasn't he? Maybe he could fix it? But would I be able to stop myself from punching him?

Eventually the part of me that didn't want to spend the night at this intersection got the best of me and, when the light turned back to green, I flicked on my indicator and drove down the road to his house.

I turned into his driveway and clenched my teeth. Calm down. Get out of the car. Knock. Ask for help. Don't bash him up punch him kick him or hit him where the sun don't shine.

"Oh hi, Gemma isn't it?" I held my breath and tried to control my emotions as Darren walked out the front door and up to me.

"Hello Darren" I said as casually as I could. Judging by the look he quickly shot me before opening the bonet of my car I didn't do a great job at acting nonchalant.

"What's up? What did you do this poor girl here?" he asked. It took me a little while to realise he was talking about the car. I quickly got out of the car and walked around to where he was standing, but keeping enough distance between us so that I wouldn't be close enough to punch him if I lost it.

"How did you know? I never said anything about- oh" I exclaimed as the car bonet came in full view. It was smoking.

"Oh indeed" he frowned at me. 

"What's wrong with it?" i asked. He just frowned even more while rifling through all the little bits and bobs.

"Poor baby, you haven't been getting weekly oiling have you?" I zoned out after that because he started listing off mor stuff the 'poor baby' hadn't recieved from me. I was quite surprised actually that Darren knew words as big as what he was saying. After about a minute or two of listing of confusing, long words, I grew impatient.

"Ok, ok! Cut the crap, what's wrong with the car" I put extra emphasis on the last word, judging by the way he was talking to it, I think he might start to get a little crush on it.

"Jeesh, keep cool bro! May I ask you why the heck you would put sand in the oil compartment?" he asked. I just stared at him.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

"Sand in the oil compartment. You know, the oil part? Where you put the oil-"

"Ok, ok! I know what the oil compartment is!"

"Do you know how to use it?"

"Yes"

"So why did you put sand in it?"

"i didn't put sand in it!"

"Well someone has, it wasn't very long ago either. I'm guessing you've been having problems with the break, bro?" he asked. I nodded quickly. He nodded as if he was expecting that answer. If he was expecting the answer why did he ask it! Damn he was grating on my last nerve! After what he did to poor A-

"She told you, didn't she?" I looked up quickly, he was watching me sadly.

"Yes, yes she did tell me!" I shot back angrily. He sighed and walked towards me.

"Look, Gemma, I really didn't mean to do that. I just, I got drunk and then she turned up and," he sighed. "Ok that's no excuse, but still I just- ow!" he exclaimed as my fist united with his nose. 

I stared at him in anger.

"You're right, it is no excuse" I spat, still staring at him in complete anger. Thank goodness he didn't strike back. I hadn't thought that far ahead, if he had fought back I'd for sure be done for.

But no, he just sat there on the ground in front of me, holding his bleeding nose and looking at the ground in shame. 

"I'm sorry" he said finally, after a long silence. There was another long silence where we both stared at each other until he finally broke it.

"Your car is fixed by the way"

I gave him one more hard look before walking back towards my car. Just before I opened the door to get in, I heard him whisper to himself something I'm sure he didn't mean for me to hear:

"Damn it! I've stuffed it up this time!"