Innocent Blood (chapter 1)

Innocent Blood

Chapter 1

Looking back now, it was hard to believe that when I had first been brought here, I had actually thought that man was an angel. He was nothing of light or of love, but a creature of cruelty and darkness. His name was Marius Alabastor Ambrose, who unbelievably was a staggering 236 years old, however, didn't appear to be aged a day over 30. He was a vampire. The one who had saved me from a house fire whilst leaving my parents behind to perish in it.

For the first few weeks the man had been really kind to me, he had taken care of me; bought me things, made sure I was happy. Then he had started to change, little things at first, he had stopped taking me outside and gradually stopping me from having free range of the house. Then came the hitting, that had started if I had said or done something he didn't like, then whenever he was angry he took it out on me. Usually he would lock me in my room afterwards. But worst of all were the dinner parties.

The house was silent as I sat in my room staring blankly out of the window. The room itself held nothing of interest a bed, a chest of drawers, a tall bookcase stacked with classical children's literature, two small cabinets and a dressing table. There were no pictures or posters on the pale pink walls and the en-suite bathroom was just as plain. The rain outside was pouring down from the dark cloudy sky. Over the past four years, of my being here, days had become night and night was our day time. It's just the way things were here.

The door to my room clicked open; I didn't need to turn to know who it was. I knew who it was, who it always was. "Accalia, will you not join me for breakfast?" he asked as he strode into the room, placing a hand on my shoulder. His touch still sent shivers through my veins, there was really no need for me to answer, he knew I always done what he asked. Always. With a sigh I stood up and made my way to the kitchen.

The house wasn't exactly what you might expect a 236 year old vampire to live in. The house was fairly big with five bedrooms, a pool in the garden and the whole house was surrounded by woodland. Each room was painted in fresh whites and pastels, with floor to ceiling windows along the hallways. Every piece of furniture was chunky and modern, the sort of house that should be featured in a magazine, the whole place just screamed designer.

Breakfast was already waiting for me in the kitchen. I took a seat at the breakfast bar and eyed the bowl of brownish mush that lay in front of me. Marius took a seat across from me and after what seemed like hours of his staring at me, finally spoke, "So, I was thinking that you should wear a green dress for tonight's dinner party. What do you think?"

"Green is good" I replied not looking him in the eye.

"Oh Accalia, can you not have a little more enthusiasm? You know there are thousands of girls who would happily take your place!" he told me sternly.

"Maybe you could tell one of those girls to attend to your friends tonight?" I asked, still not looking at him; I knew there were no other girls. It was only me, on occasion some of his guests would bring along other women who wore short skirts, heavy make-up and smelled of cigarette smoke, but still I always had to attend. "Do not anger me child! Do I not take care of you? Feed you? Put clothes on your back?! Where would you be if it were not for me? I know, you would be dead. I give you everything Accalia, and all I ask is that you do one thing for me, is that too much to ask, is it?" He shouted at me, as his eyes got darker, showing how angry he was getting. That was something I learned fairly quickly here, vampires eye colours could change depending on their mood. I couldn't anger him; he can't lose control around me.

"I'm sorry Marius, forgive me, green will be perfect" I said forcing a smile on my face.

"All is forgiven child, I will have Kate find something perfect for you to wear. Oh, and please pick up your attitude before tonight. Now, go take a bath, start to prepare for our guests". He kissed me on the forehead and left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. It was true, he did look after me, provide for me, and without him I probably would be dead, for sure I would be. But, all he asks in return is one thing... my blood; it's a high price to pay. I put my head down on the table top. I knew that after tonight I would sleep for about two days. I always slept for days after Marius' dinner parties. Having a group of vampires drink from you really tires you out. I was glad of the rest afterword though I suppose, it gave me time away from Marius, from this house he kept me locked in... And it allowed me precious time with my parents in dreams. That's the only place I got to see them, in my dreams, I could relive special moments with them. My memories and dreams were all I had left.