Innocent Blood (chapter 7)

Innocent Blood

Chapter 7

      My name resounded in my head. Accalia. I was more than certain I had not let my name slip from my lips tonight. Marius had called me by my 'alias', Pur Sange, even when we were alone and I knew better than to think that he would have made the mistake of mentioning my name to anyone in my absence. I tried to mask the shock that I knew must have been on my face as I turned to face whoever knew my name.
      She stood before me, so unbelievably beautiful that it almost hurt my eyes just to look at her. The woman held her golden eye mask away from her face, which allowed me to truly appreciate every perfect feature on her face. Her dark hair sat in perfect loose curls down her back, the curves of her body were highlighted by the golden corset-dress she wore. Perfection personified. The light glinted in her eyes, the same emerald eyes as Alastor. For a second I wondered if I had only imagined that she had spoke my name, she looked so serene, the total opposite to what I was feeling. My legs began to tremble and I leant heavily on Ablator's arm.
      A hand grabbed me from behind to spin me round. I almost screamed out until I saw that it was Marius who had taken hold of me. Relief flooded through me as I stood to face him. "It's time to get home", he told me sternly. I reached for his hand as a man spoke from beside the perfect woman, "Marius, what is this?".
"This, I believe is Accalia Ruby Pariter", she spoke my full name, a name I had almost never heard in four years, she still hadn't taken her eyes off me, and I was sick with fear. Marius let out a loud angry snarl that seemed to bounce off the walls. For a moment it was only us two. His eyes flashed white before turning dead black. Everything went fast then. I saw Marius's body quiver as he made a lunge for me, an arm wrapped around me and pulled me out of his reach. The man who had spoke to Marius, along with Alastor had dived forward, each grabbing an arm of Marius and holding him back. "Leave Marius", said Perfection, and I realised that I was wrapped in her arms. He looked resigned and his aggressive face calmed. "Don't leave me", I whispered. He had warned me about this, he said I would most likely die tonight. What kind of cold, cruel creatures were these people? Why hadn't he brought someone else in my place, if he knew this would happen? My mind screamed at me. The arms that surrounded me, pulled me tighter as I struggled to get to Marius. "Go now, Marius Ambrose", she commanded.
"Don't you leave me with them Marius", I cried out hysterically, "don't you leave me!". The woman pulled me away from the scene as I kicked and screamed, to no avail. I turned my head back to where Marius was, to see that he was being escorted out by Alastor and his companion. He went willingly without even turning back to look at me.

      I sat alone in, from what I could gather was a study or something along those lines. The carpet was thick and deep red, there was a large desk in the centre of the room, and books filled ceiling to floor book cases that ran along one wall. I sat on the floor in a corner with my knees brought up to my chin. I had cried myself out, the tears had dried and my eyes stung. Standing up to get the feeling back in my legs, I walked over to the desk. Several papers were lying on the table, but the thing that caught my attention was the picture. It was one of those old sepia tone pictures, from a time before people smiled at a camera. There was a woman sitting in a chair, dressed in typical Victorian fashion and behind her stood a handsome man, with his hand resting on her shoulder.
      "Want some company?". I jumped so hard that I almost dropped the picture. I turned and saw Alastor standing at the door, which I hadn't even heard opening. I backed off towards the wall, away from him. Vampires were volatile, malicious creatures, a fact that Marius had never let me forget. But he was always there to protect me, he wasn't here now. "I just thought you'd be lonely, and I thought you might want this", he held a blanket out for me, making me realise just how cold I was. I cowered away from his hand as he reached out to give the blanket to me. "Well you're certainly causing a buzz out there", nodding in the direction of the door, "what's the deal?". I felt the tears welling up in my eyes again, I couldn't hold it back and I just broke down in loud uncontrollable sobs. He brought himself down to my level, where I had got myself back into my corner, put the blanket around me and pulled me into him. He patted my shoulder and was shushing me. In his arms I forgot how dangerous he was and I folded myself into his arms.
      "I don't know why I'm here", I said between sobs.
"It's ok, don't cry. We'll figure this out, don't worry. I'll be here with you". He kissed the top of my head and it sent a shiver through me, not in the way it did with Marius. This was nice. Comforting. "They want to kill me. Marius told me, and he just left me. I don't want to die".
"He told you that? Babe, no one here is gonna hurt you". I looked up at him through my tears and I really saw him. This boy didn't look dangerous. He looked gentle, and honestly concerned about me. "By the way, I'm confused, they say your name is Accalia, not Pur Sange?".
"Yes Accalia, that is my name", I admitted, no point in lying now as it seemed they knew already. "Well Miss Accalia, it would be wise of you to get some rest. I do believe tomorrow will be a long day, lets get you off to bed".
"No, please stay here, I don't want to go yet", I asked, he brushed his hand over my hair and I felt the tiredness hit me. The nights events had certainly taken its toll on me and the  exhaustion took over as I closed my eyes and fell asleep right there on the floor. In his arms.