Innocent Blood (chapter 2)

Innocent Blood

Chapter 2

The steam from the hot bath filled my en-suite bathroom, creating a mini sauna. I slipped off my cotton night dress and climbed into the warm water. It felt so good to be warm. Warmth wasn't something of importance in a house that was occupied by vampires, with me being the exception. The only source of heat was from a small convector heater that sat in the corner of my bedroom. I had to sit right in front of it to feel any sort of heat. My eyes closed and I let my body slip right under the water, slowly relaxing each muscle in my body. The built up tension in my body was being swallowed away by the healing water when the door to the bathroom clicked open. My head snapped round and my hands tried to cover up as much of my naked body as possible. "Sorry, did I startle you?" Marius asked, amused.

"I didn't hear you knock" I said embarrassed, wishing he would just leave the room.

"Knock? Why would I need permission to enter a room in my own house Accalia? It would do you well to remember you are in my home."

"Did you want something Marius?" I interrupted him eager to stop his eyes looking over my body.

He stared at me for what seemed like ages and finally spoke, "Well, now that you mention it there is something I would like". He took a step towards me, licked his top lip and reached for my wrist. I instantly froze in place. He never drank from me on a night of his dinner parties. He began to come down to my level, his eyes turning a deep red.

"I'll be too weak for tonight, sir please, don't", I pleaded.

He stopped in his track. He let out a sigh and dropped my hand.

"You're right, I can wait a few more hours for you." He smiled, stood up and headed towards the door. Before he reached there he turned to me and said, "I came to tell you that your dress is in your room and Kate will help you to get dressed", then, with a cocky smile he looked at my body from head to toe and added, "and child, you need not hide your body from me, you are mine." The door clicked shut behind him.

His words had left a stinging all over me and his lustful stares... I wanted to scrub away those stares, it was like they had left the dirt on my skin. I felt sick in my stomach but I had promised myself a long time ago that he would get no more tears from my eyes.

The air in my bedroom was much cooler than in the bathroom and my wet skin prickled. Hanging from the door frame on a hanger, I found my dress. It was more or less the same as the usual attire he made me parade around in at the parties. It had the little-girl-at-a-wedding look with the calf length chiffon skirt and frills everywhere. This one was a shade of sickly green that reminded me of a dress worn by one of the ugly step sisters in Disney's, Cinderella. Why did I need to be the ugly step sister? Surely I deserved to be the Cinderella in this story?

A soft knock came at the door and I called them in. Kate walked gracefully into the room. Kate was the only other person here, she was very pretty with dark brown hair that she kept tied back in a neat bun at the back of her head, she was Marius' maid. Her eyes were a hazel brown and she had a body any woman would pay thousands for. She looked to be in her early 20's, but with her being a vampire there was really no telling how old she was. Kate's personality... put quite simply, a bitch. Well most of the time anyway. I had appreciated having her there when she would get me things that I was too embarrassed to ask Marius for. But most of the time she made no effort to hide her distaste of me.

"You haven't even started to get ready yet? Its almost 10.30, you know the guests arrive at 11", she scowled. When she realised I wasn't going to say anything back to her she stared at my reflection as she fiddled with my wet hair. "I don't know why he is so fond of you, you're just an insignificant human", she went on, "he's had many like you before you know, you're not special." I looked back at her in the mirror, she was staring at the back of my head, but I saw that her hazel eyes were taking on a green tint. Jealousy, I lowered my gaze and kept my mouth shut.

My hair was pinned up much the same as Kate wore her own hair. We both looked over my reflection as I stood in the green puff. Behind me Kate started to fiddle with the straps of my dress until it sat just right. The material was itchy and uncomfortable not to mention that it made me look like a bowl of green jelly. "I think you have out grown this style of dress." Kate said as she fluffed up the skirt. "I don't know why he still gets these made for you. They're not flattering at all". The dress certainly was not flattering and I was glad that someone agreed with me on that.

The doorbell rang and my spine stiffened. "That's them now", said Kate as she placed a hand on my shoulder, "you know he won't let anything happen to you", she reassured. I smiled in the mirror to her but she was already checking herself over in the mirror then disappeared through the door. The familiar sick feeling rose in my stomach when I heard the voices enter the house.