Chapter Twenty

Honi stuck to Turinet's side the moment they walked into the main camp. Firek watched the emotions play across her face from where he stood, half-hidden in the shadow of a tent, and didn't move as the old man led her forward. He told himself he didn't want her to see him, never wanted to spend time with her again. but then why had he wandered here and stopped conveniently where he could see her walk into camp?

He scowled at himself, even as his gaze followed Honi. When Turinet led her out of his sight, Firek finally moved, walking parallel to them, flitting from tent to ten to hide from Honi's view. It embarrassed him that he was so obsessed, and the Sky Serpent could strike him flightless, but he needed to make sure she stayed safe.

This was all his fault.

Turinet seemed to be making his way toward Breri, who stood by the fire pit, overseeing the preparations of what would be tonight's celebration. Firek felt a thrill of excitement at the thought; it would be grand, he knew, with a feast of roasted pages to praise the Sky Serpent and their own success. Perhaps the celebration would fully immerse him back into the flock, get rid of the last cobwebby doubts crowding his mind.

Breri frowned when Turinet came up to him, and glared darkly at Honi. Firek moved instinctively closer, gripping the hilt of the sword at his belt—he'd reclaimed it soon after entering camp.

"What do you want?" Breri asked, crossing his huge muscled arms. "And why did you untie it?"

"The prisoner has been so far cooperative," Turinet said calmly. "And anyway, she knows there's no point in running. Sentries at all points of the camp. She's just one girl."

"I know that," Breri snapped. "Just tell me why you're bothering me."

Turinet launched into a long-winded explanation of another of his odd ideas, but Firek frowned at the old man's last comment. Talking about the camp's defenses couldn't be advisable around an enemy prisoner. Perhaps Turinet's mind was finally beginning to degrade as his body. But he and Honi had been alone with the ostriches . . . considering Turinet's dirtied past, Firek couldn't help but wonder . . . but no. Even with Turinet's help, Honi could never escape. No one trusted Turinet, not fully.

Breri got tired enough of arguing with Turinet and waved him away, turning to bark orders at Rivatek and Triqiwk as they passed by, laughing at a joke. Firek smirked at the scowls they made at Breri's back, even as they trotted away to do as he'd ordered. Then he felt someone's gaze on him and turned to find Honi staring at him. He stared back, uneasiness crawling down his back. Anger burned in her eyes, replacing fear, but also something else. Determination.

She turned away, hurrying after Turinet when he called her name—where'd he learn that?—and Firek felt his body relax. He shook his head. That determination would get her killed if she acted on it.

Oh Sky Serpent don't let her do anything stupid. If she stays docile everything will be fine. Yutinah isn't cruel enough to keep a child prisoner. She'll let Honi go, as long as behaves.

Firek prayed that was true.

"Let the bonfire be lit!" Yutinah declared, standing on a fallen log so all could see her. A cheer went up; the celebration had officially begun.

Honi hugged her knees tight, shrinking away when the flock leader's sharp gaze passed over her.

An essie warrior walked up to the huge pile of wood stacked in the pit dug in the center of the clearing that served as the flock's main camp, a flaming torch in her hand. The fire threw her face into dramatic shadows, making her look twice as fierce and wild than usual. Honi's eyes flicked to Yutinah, watching nearby. The flock leader's eyes gleamed in the firelight. Honi shivered.