Chapter Four

Through the chaos of shrieking wind, roaring thunder, pelting rain, crashing branches, and the panic of Jeje's mad gallop, something slammed into Honi. She shrieked, clutching the saddle horn in order to stay in the saddle, and twisted around to see what had hit her—a tree branch? Lightning flashed at the same moment.

It outlined the form of a boy who clung desperately to a saddlebag. Wet, pale hair was plastered to his scalp, which only partly concealed his SKY Company tattoos. Goggles bulged over his eyes, right above a mouth twisted in a snarl. His hand was outstretched and reaching for her.

The flash of light ended, leaving Honi in darkness for a second.

Then she felt something grasp her shirt. She screamed and kicked out; she felt her foot hit flesh. The boy grunted, his head close to Honi's ear, but hung on. She kicked again and again, still shrieking, not daring to loosen her grip on the saddle horn. But the boy clung on. Another hand grabbed Honi, her trousers this time, and the boy hauled himself up on the saddle right beside her. She stared at those glassy, empty goggles, frozen in terror.

Jeje bucked.

The giraffe dug in her hooves suddenly, wrenching to a stop that nearly sent Honi soaring over Jeje's head, then brayed and threw up her heels. This time, Honi flew.

For a moment it was just Honi and frigid air rushing past her. Then she smashed into a tree trunk, crippling pain blasted down her side, and she tumbled to the muddy earth. Darkness . . . then air snuck down her lungs and Honi breathed again, gasping and choking as her vision reluctantly returned. Her head lolled, and everything was fuzzy, and she couldn't hear anything but a buzz in her ears and a distant thump thump thump of her pounding heart.

Harsh, jagged motion caught her eye, and Honi drunkenly swung her head over to see. A giraffe, she thought sluggishly. She blinked, long and slow. Jumping giraffe. And . . . a boy.

The boy with the goggles still clung to the saddle but was being whipped about by the giraffe, who bucked as if a lion hung from her hindquarters. The giraffe brayed, a sound Honi knew she knew but couldn't hear, just a pressure in her skull. The giraffe bucked and jumped around a few more times, then went barreling off-trail into the trees.

Honi lay there for a time. Gradually sound returned to her ears, followed by thoughts finally flowing again. "Jeje!" she sputtered, struggling to sit up. Immediately her body rebelled, forcing her to fall back and clutch her head. It ached. "Owwwww . . ." She massaged her temples, eyes closed, then took a deep breath and hauled herself to her feet. She leaned against a tree for support, her vision clouded in darkness.

Jeje. Her giraffe still fought that essi boy—the same who'd seen the Holy Book, she knew it—by herself.

Her head pounded, her side screamed in protest, but Honi gritted her teeth and pushed off the tree. Her vision swam and she swayed, thinking she might pass out. Must get to Jeje, she thought, but didn't know if she could. I must. She took a single step forward.

Jeje burst out of the trees and skidded to a stop on the trail. No boy clung to her saddle now. Her nostrils flared and ears turned at every sound as she swung her head around, looking for something. Honi staggered forward, filled with sudden strength as she lifted her arm.

"Down here, Jeje! Look down here!"

An ear spun her way, followed by Jeje's head, and the giraffe eagerly skittered forward at the sight of Honi. Honi had to stumble to the side before a hoof could step on her, and she nearly fell over, her head spinning.

"Jeje—Jeje! Calm down! I'm here, you're here, we're both safe, but if you keep stomping around you'll step on me! Please, old girl, calm down."

Jeje slowed and bent her long neck, lowering her head to Honi. When Honi stretched she could pat the giraffe's nose. Warm, moist breath washed over Honi, making her smile. She rubbed her palm all over the giraffe's face, as much as she could on her tippy-toes, soothing the giraffe with her touch and low mumbling words of comfort.