Chapter Nineteen

Firek rode quietly just ahead of his celebrating, victorious flock. It felt good to ride a bird again, even if it was only an ostrich, with a proper saddle too. Hon—the girl's saddle was so ridiculously large and bulky. Lackey gatherers traveled with so much stuff. He was glad to finally, finally be back with his flock.

"Firek."

Firek looked up. Yutinah trotted up the line toward him on her ostrich, her normally distant, cold face relaxed in light of the mission's success. Firek immediately slowed his ostrich, letting her catch up and fall in next to him. "My leader," he greeted with a respectful bow of his head.

"Just checked on the prisoner. Seems to still be in shock."

Honi. Bound hand-and-foot on an ostrich led by old Turinet near the back of the group. No hulking giraffe in sight. Firek couldn't glance back, unable to meet her furious, betrayed gaze. The look on her face when he'd gathered her things . . . Firek focused on what Yutinah was saying.

"It was wise of you to stay with her even after your bird crashed, to mark the trails for us and communicate how best to attack earlier." A rare smile appeared on Yutinah's face as she looked at him. "You did well."

Her approval glowed in Firek's chest, sending happy tingles down his fingers and toes. "Thank you."

She nodded, turning her gaze forward. "And . . . there's this." She pulled a dagger from her belt and held it out to him.

Firek froze. His father's dagger. His hand darted out before he told it and plucked the weapon from Yutinah's hand. He held it a moment, staring at his eye's reflection in the smooth metal.

"We found it when following your trail. Thought you might like it back."

"I—I do," Firek said, finding his voice. "Thank you." He slid the dagger into its sheath, the familiar weight of it finally right on his hip.

"Very good. It will be the only thing of your past you carry with you as you advance in the ranks, Firek." Her pale green eyes pierced Firek to the core, revealing the true meaning behind her words. "Nothing else. I'll make sure of it."

She clucked her ostrich forward to walk beside her second, Breri, who led the flock on their journey back to camp. They began to talk and Breri glanced back, his eyes narrowed. Firek sucked in a wobbly breath. Keep calm, keep calm, he told himself, squeezing his dagger tight. Yutinah has pardoned you. You're free. Don't spoil it. He nodded in respect to the second.

A grimace tugged at Breri's lips, but he grudgingly nodded back before turning away. Firek breathed out shakily, unable to hide a smile. He'd done it. He had proven his loyalty and none could hold his father's treachery over his head any longer. Breri would accept him, the company would accept him, and Firek would finally be able to become all that he was meant to be.

I hope you do it, Firek.

Firek sighed, looking down. His hand held the ostrich's reins, clenching tighter than they needed to. That was why the bird was being so fidgety. Firek relaxed his grip, letting his shoulders slump as well. He had finally achieved his goal from that stormy night on Krunin's back; the Holy Book was in his flock's possession, soon to be in the hands of a priest. But at what cost?

What would become of her?

He should've asked Yutinah when she had approached him. But would his leader take back the pardon if he showed worry and compassion for the enemy?

Compassion for the enemy. Firek scoffed at himself. A few weeks ago he would've never had such a traitorous thought. How had he changed, so swift in such a short time? Though, when it had come to it, he hadn't changed, not really.