Ch. 20 The Night After

I know it's short, and I'm sorry. I've been trying to work on my other stories, so I'm starting to work a little bit less on the more complete ones, namely, this. Thanks for reading! And by the way, I am making some minor changes to some of the earlier chapters. Not anything major that you want to go and reread, just little details.

Ch. 20

Hermione’s POV

I awoke to irritating scratch of own talons on glass - a familiar enough sound, but annoying nonetheless. I knew that the owl would sit there for as long as it took anyone to answer it, so I groggily got out of bed and opened the window. I gasped in surprise as I recognized Pigwidgeon. Maybe Harry was borrowing him? After I took the letter, he hopped onto my shoulder and bit my ear affectionately. I ignored him and opened the letter. I immediately knew it was Ron, because his handwriting hadn’t improved a bit since first year.

“Dear Hermione,” it read, “I am sorry for everything that happened last time I saw you. I know that I was wrong, even if you do like that prick Malfoy. Which I hope you do not.” I shook my head as I read it. “I know you probably won’t forgive me, but I still want to be friends with you, even if we can’t be anything more. I’ll be at the Hog’s Head at three tomorrow, if you want to join me. Ron.” I sighed at his ill wording. I mean, seriously? Insulting my boyfriend is a great way to get on my good side. Oh, definitely. I decided that I would go, but Draco was going to come with me. I looked at the alarm clock beside my bed. Five? I groaned and flopped down on my bed. Well, there was no way I was going to fall back to sleep now. I rubbed my eyes and glanced around my room, looking for a way to pass the time. Too energy consuming… Too boring… Too tired for that… Eventually, I just decided to go downstairs and have some coffee. Nothing like a nice hot cup of caffeine to wake you up.

I crept quietly downstairs, trying not to wake anyone up. When I made it to the kitchen, I put the coffee maker on and went to go inspect the fridge. Now, did I want turkey, or chicken, or muffins, or pancakes? What about eggs and bacon? Toast? I grabbed a chocolate muffin and closed the door. In a matter of seconds, the muffin was gone, and I was feeling slightly less ravenous. Why, stomach, why? I asked myself. You don’t need the calories! With the last of my willpower, I forced myself out of the kitchen and into the living room. The fire was still burning, so I went to sit down in one of the armchairs across from Draco.

“Not enough time…” he muttered, turning over in his sleep. Oh, this would be fun. Draco sleep talking? I smiled evilly. “No…” he murmured. “Gone. You’re gone!” He was starting to freak me out. I mean, he wasn’t just mumbling anymore, he was legitimately talking. “I saw you!” his voice rose. He started to shake, and his ring began to twirl at an alarming rate.

“Draco!” I shook his arm. “Draco, wake up!” He sat bolt upright, clenching my hand tightly. “Are you all right?” I asked worriedly. “What happened?” He let go of my hand and sunk backwards into the pillows.

“Just a dream.” he muttered.

“It was NOT just a dream, Draco Malfoy. Tell me what you saw NOW.” Alright, so maybe I shouldn’t have been so harsh with him, but it got the point across. He winced at my tone and began to speak.

“I thought it was just a dream at first. I was in a room, a dungeon or something. I was sitting in a chair, and I couldn’t move. There was a group of people standing at the other side. I couldn’t tell who it was, though. They were all facing away from me. Then a voice starting talking to me. It was familiar, but different. I know it doesn’t make any sense. He said, “Ah, if it isn’t the traitor Malfoy. Well, I was wondering when you’d show up.” He kept talking about pointless little details, stuff that didn’t really matter. Then I recognized the voice-it was Lucius. I guess he noticed that I knew it. “So you’ve finally figured it out, have you? You always were intelligent… So much wasted potential…” That’s when he turned around. I was right, it was him. He looked younger, though. Like the clock had turned back twenty years. “I was wondering when I would finally catch you.” That’s what he said, but I don’t understand what he meant by it. I mean, I wasn’t actually there. Then all the other ones turned around too. I recognized some of them. Mulciber was there… Some of the old Deatheaters.

Anyway, it was like everyone was suddenly young again. They started asking me questions. Not like I would answer them. Besides, I still couldn’t move. When I didn’t answer, they got angry. Started cursing me.” He shivered involuntarily. “You wouldn’t believe how painful the cruciartus curse is when you can’t even scream. Just before I went unconscious, they stopped. Then another voice started talking. I guess it was me. I couldn’t control my lips or anything, so I don’t know how I did it. It wasn’t even my voice.” He stopped for a moment. He took a deep breath. “I said, “If you are looking for answers, Lucius, then you won’t get them.” That voice was familiar too. He just laughed. And guess what will happen to your girlfriend if you don’t?” But it didn’t feel like he was talking about you. Then I just felt so angry all of the sudden. As if every bit of my soul were being torn apart. Then everything exploded.

I was free! It wasn’t just being able to move, though. It was like I was anchored there, in that room, and then I was cut free. But I-my body, at least- didn’t leave. I just sort of floated in midair. Everything seemed so bright and vibrant. It was incredible! But I wasn’t focused on that. The anger still coursed through my veins like fire. The Deatheaters were staring up at me in shock. I could feel their fear. “So much wasted potential, eh, Lucius?” Draco shuddered. “Then the room began to shake. It was like a miniature earthquake, except, from me. The power that I felt in that moment…” he trailed off. “Lucius and the others were blasted at least fifty feet back. Then everything faded out.” A horrible thought suddenly occurred to him. “They couldn’t have brought him back, could they?”

I wrapped my arms around him. “No, they couldn’t have. Besides, you said he looked younger.”

“It wasn’t a dream.” he muttered defensively.

“No, it wasn’t. All the Deatheaters you said you saw are dead…” I said, my brain suddenly not so tired. “Wait.” I said, suddenly energized. “Maybe they weren’t talking about you.”

“They said Malfoy. It’s not as if they were talking about Narcissa.” he argued. “And you wouldn’t believe how many times I heard that phrase as a child. Wasted potential, wasted potential.”

“Yes, but remember. There was another Malfoy.”

He looked confused for a moment, until he remembered about his father. “Alkannon.”

I nodded. “What you saw could have been a memory, like in the pensieve. I don’t know how you could have seen it in your sleep, or why it was dark magic. Maybe the effects of the curse still haven’t completely worn off yet. Even the slightest residue of dark magic can mess with your brain.”

“Mmm.”

Just then, I heard the coffee maker beep. “Coffee?” I offered, standing up.

“Yes, please.” I strode into the kitchen and quickly made up a couple mugs of coffee. We sat in front of the firey coals sipping our drinks, thinking about what had happened. If Alkannon had such amazing power, how did Lucius kill him? None of this made sense. Why couldn’t my life just be simple, like everybody else’s? I put down my empty coffee mug and sat down next to Draco.

“Why is everything always so complicated?” I asked, leaning on his shoulder.

“I have no idea.” he answered. “But I bet we’ll figure it out."