Chapter 17

Comment, vote or like, I appreciate everything!

The day of prom dawned menacingly. I went to school and tried to act as if I wasn’t bothered but the truth was I was so bothered that I was biting my nails. I never bite my nails.

 “Quit doing that,” Alaska complained.

 “Sorry,” I said quickly, withdrawing my finger from my mouth. “I can’t help it.”

Alaska snorts but Angel gives me a reassuring smile.

 “Don’t worry; you’re not the only one. I bite mine all the time.”

Angel extended her hand towards me. Her nails were very short but not as irregular as mine had become. I was far too nervous for my own good. And what the hell did I have to be nervous about? I was a God-damn werewolf for crying out loud and my date wasn’t even human. But I knew what the real problem was. This was my first high school prom and I didn’t want to make a fool out of myself because there was every chance that that would happen.

 I watched Angel snuggle into Sebastian’s side and mentally sighed. Seb had finally summoned up the courage to ask Angel to the prom and the two – Alaska tells me – have had a crush on each other since junior high. But rather than act as a shy couple who’ve only been together for a few days, Seb and Angel have opted for the life-long partner look. It was as if his invitation hadn’t been for the prom but for marriage instead. Nevertheless I found it really cute while Alaska, ever the cynic, found it sappy and mushy (her words, not mine). Everyone just ignored her.

 As the bell rang for school to end and I approached my locker, I noticed Hayden and Alyx standing nearby. I hadn’t spoken much to either of them since going on that shopping trip which meant I still had no clue what I was going to wear to prom that night. Cam had asked as soon as I had gotten home but I told her I didn’t want to talk about it so she let it drop.

 “Hey Hayden,” I greeted her.

Hayden beamed at me.

 “You ready for tonight?”

I shrugged and placed my extra-large calculus book into my locker before reaching for my backpack.

 “Not really. I feel like I’m going to melt into mush any minute and I also don’t have a dress so I guess I’m either going to go in casual wear or not go at all. I’m sort of leaning towards the latter.”

Hayden’s eyes grew wide theatrically and she shook her head frantically.

 “Saskia no! You will go. I’ll just lend you one of mine.”

I shut my locker door and turned round to face her. She looked genuinely horrified which didn’t fail in amusing me. Hayden had a lot of pent up emotion and she felt passionately about things. I admired her for it.

 “You would? But what if it doesn’t fit?”

Hayden shook her head, a smile playing on her lips.

 “Don’t worry Saskia. I have three gorgeous dresses and one expert seamstress as a mother. This plan can’t go wrong.”

I bit my lip in thought. It certainly sounded foolproof except for the part where I’d end up feeling guilty.

 “Alright then.”

Hayden clapped her hands and squealed. Alyx, who was talking into her cell, turned around and glared at her cousin who took no notice.

 “This night will be perfect, just trust me. Would you like to come round to mine now?”

The thought of going to Hayden’s house brought up memories of the party, the other werewolves who had stared and scrutinized me and finally Drake Riley, a werewolf I still hadn’t quite sussed out yet. His name, him, they both made my heart beat faster and my stomach twist and twirl. But then I remembered the plans I had set this morning. I wouldn’t skip it for anything and I’m sure Hayden would understand.