Chapter 35: Keep holding on

Matt’s POV

When I saw how happy she is on what I did for her, I forgot all the cost it takes and sleepless nights. It’s all worth it!

I’m not expecting anything in return but what she did is priceless... I’m look like a fool with the smile written on my face until I got home. And so they say, the best things in life are free.

-----------------------------------------------------

Few more days before the Ironman 70.3...

I visited her, as I usually do.

We’re sitted on their sala while having some snacks.

Matt: Love, is there a problem?

Sarah: Ah.. what do you mean?

Matt: You look disturbed...

Sarah: Uhmm... I know you wouldn’t like what I will say... But, uhmm...

Matt: C’mon! If it’s something that I have to know, spill it...

Sarah: Love... they didn’t allow me to join you in the Ironman---

Matt: Ghad... (napahawak ako sa buhok ko na halos hugutin ko para pigilan ang emosyon ko)

Sarah: Love, please... (She tried to get hold of my hand, still in my head).

Only if you’re a triathlete then you’ll understand what I’m feeling.

Those months of painful training just to prepare for this event.

During those trainings when I couldn’t take the soreness anymore, I’ll just think about her waiting for me on that finish line, then I’ll get by...

I even told myself, that would be my mindset on the actual event and I’ll be more inspired ‘cause I know she’s really there...

Everything just crashed with I just heard.

Ito na yung isa sa ikinatatakot ko... She won’t be there when I needed her the most.

Will I be able to handle this kind of pain? I don’t know...

Sarah: Love... magsalita ka naman... Let me know your thoughts please.

Matt: I want to be honest with you, Love. It pains me...  just the thought of it... it pains me.

And she cried silently. So I held her in my arms.

Sarah: Love... I’m sorry... I’m really sorry that I couldn’t do anything about this... (She’s already trailing her words). I’m sorry dahil ang dami kong hang ups bilang girlfriend mo... I’m sorry kung lagi na lang akong nagkukulang---

Matt: Ssshhh... Don’t say that, okay? Kahit kalian hindi ka nagkulang.

Sarah: I really tried to convinced them, I really did my best to change their mind. I want to be there for you...