III

"This party is strictly by invitation and uninvited guests aren't allowed." I continued completely ignoring Precious.

"I know I wasn't invited but I couldn't help but attend. Gosh! My best friend is having a birthday party. I have to celebrate with her."

"Oh, I'm so touched." I mocked. "Well, I don't need you to celebrate with me. Who is even your friend? Look! I don't want to be friends anymore. That's the door. Leave!" I pointed to the door.

Precious gasped and Sandra's eyes narrowed. I knew my words had hurt her and I couldn't be more glad. She had hurt me too; so much.

"Fine! If that's what you want." She snapped at me. Then turning to Precious, she bashed,

"You see! I told you I wasn't coming but you insisted I came now look! I have to bear this embarrassment. Clifford asked me to go with him to a movie show and I declined simply because of this dumb party."

She turned to face me then, and with a scowl, she pronounced,
"Enjoy your stupid party."

"Enjoy your stupid date and boyfriend." I fired back.

Precious turned to me; wearing a dirty look on her face immediately Sandra left.

"Don't start." I warned.

"What do you mean by don't start? How could you? What have become of you?" Precious asked.

"Nothing! I just got wiser. I realized the bitch that girl is."

"Bitch? You're being the bitch here." Precious yelled.

"Who are you to meddle in my life? What do you think you are?" I blurted out before I could think.

She shook her head at me like I was a child going astray. Then she walked out and banged the door.

People had began staring at me and I walked out of the party arena; angry, rancorous, and embarrassed.

I retired to my room and sat on my bed. Let them go. Who needs them after all?

The soft knock on my door ignited my anger and I yelled,
"Go away!"

"Anita, It's me."

I quickly jumped up and opened the door. My mum stood staring at me in awe.

"Your sister told me you sent your friends away. What's going on?" My mum asked as she sat on my bed.

"Nothing is going on mum."

My mum peered at me through her eye lashes. "You've being acting weird lately. You no more go to school with your friends. Precious told me everything."

"Oh yeah! Talking behind my back now. She's showing her true colour." I blurted out.

"Oh! Stop it, Anita. She's worried about you. Tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing is wrong. I realized what a jerk my friends have been."

"And why did you say that?"

I stood up and faced my mirror. I didn't feel good discussing this with my mother but I felt I would burst if I kept keeping everything all in.

I needed to tell someone and since I couldn't speak to Precious, I had no choice than to confide in my mum.

"She knew I liked him yet she went ahead  just to show me she's much more prettier. She's deliberately doing this to hurt me." I groused.

"What do you mean?" My mum asked confused.

After my narration, my mum let out a big sigh.

"Your friends don't deserve the way you're treating them especially Sandra. You made it clear that you didn't like Clifford so that meant anyone could have him."