«1»

We drove down the street silently as mom and dad spoke about Elizabeth.

Elizabeth is my younger sister. She is 16 and she was sadly diagnosed with cancer when she turned 14. I still remember the day they told me it. I was a mess.

"So will she come home today?" My dad asked.

"I don't know, aren't you her dad? You must be responsible enough to know about your sick child" mom snapped.

"And you? Aren't you her loving mother. I have lots of other things to think about." Responded dad.

"What kind of sick joke is this? I'm getting a job. Let's see who's going to sweep the floors and dust from our house everyday and cook for you" mom said.

I guess I can't say that we drove silently anymore, because the ride was obviously not as silent.

2 days ago, Elizabeth got very ill so we had to shift her to the hospital. The doctor says that she will make it, hopefully.

We can never stop in fate's way. When it wants to shoot the person down, it does.

Mom and dad are currently mad at each other. This is a daily thing. They are always fighting, and I'm tired of all their constant arguments

Sometimes when they don't fight I feel like it's a gift from god. They barely go out together or chat without making a big fuss at the end.

We finally got to the hospital. The ride took forever. Now all I needed is a warm hug from Liz. I miss her more than anything else.

We walked into the depressing building. I like calling it that, since it depresses the lifes of many.

We walked past a couple of doors until we reached door 204.

The door creaked open and that's when I saw her.

Her blue eyes were the only part of her body that wasn't affected by cancer yet. They still had the same spark.

Her hair wasn't quiet curly anymore, since she barely had hair left.

I still saw the brave Elizabeth despite her weakness.

I tried not to cry. I practiced this all night.

I don't want to be the hopeless one.

But I still cried.

And she cried.

I ran to her bed and pulled her into my arms.

"It's okay." I whispered. "It's okay."

I pulled away from the hug and rubbed her tears with my thumbs.

Her blue eyes took me to another universe. They were utterly stunning.

I stretched my lips into a weak smile as the tears kept on falling.

"Listen. I'll get you out of here. I promise. But you need to help yourself Liz. You must pull through this, and I'll always be there." I spoke, still wiping her tears with my thumbs.

"Okay." She whispered.

"I love you"

"I love you too"

___________________________________

I sat next to her, holding her pale cold hands.

Mom and dad were discussing things with the doctor privately.

I couldn't make out what they were saying.

Tears rolled down mom's cheeks.

I looked back at Liz. She's beautiful.

"Honey" mom walked towards me placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Hmmm?"

"Give Liz a kiss. The doctor says that we have to leave now." 

Liz opened her eyes like she wanted me to stay.

I smiled at her. "Hey Lizzie. It seems like the doctor has a crush on you and he wants us all to leave." I laughed. "I love you."

"Nooo" she whined but then laughed quietly.

I kissed her forehead and looked at her one more time. I can never get enough.

_________