Nathaniel

"Am I being Punk'd ?" Imani asked.

Really ? I apologized and she asks if she's on a stupid ass show ?

"You're supposed to say 'Oh thank you Nathaniel, I accept your apology. Let's go inside.' " I said.

"Do you think I'm just going to forgive you for threatening my life twice, letting me walk home alone, treating me like I'm a piece of shit that doesn't know how to act, calling me out of my name and disrespecting my favorite movie ? It doesn't work like that."

Excuse me ? It does work like that.

"Welp, I tried. You wanna be difficult, it's on you. Let's go." I opened her door and walked her inside.

"You better not embarrass me tonight either." I whispered in her ear as we walked in.

At least this event went by quickly. I hated coming to them. I hated having to sit and listen to people's fake private lives. I don't give a fuck about any of this shit. The only reason I'm here is because of Harper.

Imani was quiet the whole drive home. "Why do you act like that?" She asked as we pulled up to her apartment complex.

What the fuck is she talking about ?

"Act like what?"

"You act like you're a God among insects. You treat people like they're scumbags, like they're trash."

I Kanye shrugged. "That's just how I am."

Imani sighed and got out. "People have feelings you know. We're all humans." She said before walking away.

I was making my way home, when something told me to go back to Imani's.

To ease the restless feeling I had, I made my way back to her apartment.

Once I got back, I saw why I had that feeling. The entire complex was on fire.

"Officer, what happened here?" I asked the nearest cop.

"Some crazy chick lit her boyfriend's things up, then the whole building caught fire." He shrugged as he pointed to the handcuffed woman.

Where is Imani ?

I didn't have to look long before I saw her hugging Isaiah, staring blankly.

"Stay with me tonight." I said. I guess Imani was too tired to put up a fight , because she just nodded and got in my car with Isaiah.

The drive home was quiet. At my house, it was even quieter. I put Isaiah and Imani in guest rooms, then headed to my room when I realized Imani followed me.

"You can call your family tomorrow." I said as I sat on my bed.

Imani just looked down, came and sat on my lap. "I don't have family."

I know I didn't hear that right. Everyone has family.

"Parents, aunts , uncles , cousins, anyone?"

"My parents were only children." Imani whispered.

"Any friends ?"

"Who wants to be friends with me?" Imani started crying on my shoulder.

I've been a class A bastard to her, and she was all alone.