23. Space

"Florence? Hello? Florence?" Eric heard her breathing in the other end.

"Eric, what do you want?"

"I'm so sorry for not reaching out to you. I've never wanted you to think I was angry with you for what you said, okay?"

"Okay, thanks I guess."

"Did you get my messages? I'm driving to Los Angeles now, I'm not too far away, we have to talk."

"What's going on?"

"I'll tell you when I get there, okay? I want to see you in person."

"—and I want you to tell me now." Florence said sternly.

"I want to see you..." He pushed.

"No, not right now Eric, I can't. Tell me now please." He could tell she was tearing up.

He stopped the car and sighed.

"It's about Jennifer...that's who came to the door a few nights ago. She's back in town."

Silence on the other end.

"We-we're trying to work on our relationship; see if we can talk things out and start over again."

"Okay," Florence mumbled.

"She asked me to—take some time off work and well—our relationship needs my full attention right now."

"I'm not surprised," Florence whispered mockingly.

"Yeah she told me you would say that but I didn't believe you would, I guess I was wrong." Eric said rudely.

"You were the one who told me you'd never cut me off in case she came back; it only took you a few days it seems..."

"I'm not cutting you off Florence, it's just—what you told me about how you feel about me, it's going to affect my relationship with Jennifer and not in a good way."

"Eric I have to go now,"

"Listen; it will only be for a few days. I'll still be there for your viewing party, Anna's coming too remember? We'll all be there for—"

"You know what Eric; I think it's better if you don't come. Anna sent me the music and she'll be there but I think it's better if we put some space between us for a while."

"What are you talking about Florence? I told you I would never cut our friendship off because off Jennifer." He exclaimed, feeling like he was losing a battle.

"We're not cutting off our friendship; we're taking a break from it for a while. So just; enjoy your time with Jennifer and don't call me for a while."

"Florence, wait—"once again the dial tone filled his ear.

He sighed and pulled over the car on the side of the road and let out a plethora of curse words.