Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Once the final, shiny and well-oiled saddle has been carefully stowed in my truck, I hop in and speed off to the show grounds. Today is day one of the rodeo. My stomach feels like its full of butterflies, as they say, and with each passing moment I get more and more nervous. I know being nervous before a show is completely natural, but I've never been THIS anxious.

I'm already dresses in my clothes for my first event of the day in two hours, a trail class with Rain. I've paired an emerald green western shirt with pearl buttons with a pair of dark wash boot cut blue jeans and for boots I wear Black Liberty TB cowboy boots from Herbert's. I've pulled my hair back into a tight, low ponytail.

I pull into the stuffed parking grounds of the rodeo.I fill up some hay nets for the horses, and hope they'll eat quickly. At the entrance gate, I flash my competitor card, and they let me through. Since I have to weave through the crowds, it takes me a while to get to the stable. When I finally do, noisy kids are running around and yelling. Sighing, I tie up the first hay net to Rain's stall, since I'm riding her first. Then I feed the rest of the horses, kindly asking children to move away from the stall doors and not to touch or feed the horses.

Then, hurriedly glancing at my watch I manage to run back to the truck and unload my tan coloured, silver lined all-purpose western saddle. The saddle, a birthday present from my parents when I turned fifteen, fits most of my horses so I only brought three of my saddles; this one, the trick saddle and one that goes on Rain. She has a shorter back than the others and needs a different saddle. I take out Rain's saddle as well, and lay it on top of the all-purpose. I then load them onto my arms, and make my way over to the stable, staggering under the weight.

Using my teeth, I unlatch the metal lock on Rain's stall door, and then use the toe of my boot to push it open. When I set the saddles in the cedar chips, my arms feel light and. I sigh, happily. The event doesn't start for another hour and a half or so. I mentally run through what I need to do to prepare. Brush Rain, tack up, check tack.... something else...oh yeah, grab my number. I'd like to check my tack now, but instead I go over to the building and wait in a long line to get my competitor number. The line moves steadily, and soon I'm at the desk. I sign in, and they hand my the thick paper. Number 209. Then they pass me a piece of black baling twine. I thank them, and tie it around my back. Quickly, I head back to the stable, to check over the saddle.

First off, I look at the cinch, making sure that no bits of dirt or pine needles are in the yarn strings. That area looks good, so I move onto the breast collar. It's fine as well. So are the stirrups, stirrup leathers, fender, cantle, skirt and pommel. The bridle easily passes my inspection.

"All good Rain!" I smile. Rain walks over, and sticks her nose in my pocket. I smack her cheek, and she whips it out pretty fast. "Behave yourself!" I point my finger at her, then grab her halter. "Ok, girl. Time to groom you.

Rain fidgets about as I sweep my dandy brush over her short back. "Rain," I say sharply, and she stops and stands still. "Thank you." I mutter. Rain isn't to dirty, so I don't bother with the curry comb. I just use the dandy, body brush and hoof pick. And then I clip her mane, and trim her tail. She is soon groomed to absolute perfection. When she is saddled, I go out to a warm up ring, and swing into the saddle. She grunts as I settle into the leather seat. Rain sets off at a sluggish pace, so I give her a form tap with my heels and she moves into a faster walk. I walk her for a few laps, then cue her into a swift trot. Rain's trot is to bumpy to sit to, so I have to post. Sticking my heels down, I squeeze my calfs and she moves into a jumpy canter.

Quickly, I half halt her and the next time I ask for a lope it is smooth and effortless. Pretty soon, I'm being called to enter the ring. "And next, we have Number 209, Sadie Lawrence riding Blue's Rain Dance!" Rain walks into the ring, and I survey the course.