Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight:

I turn the other horses out, and all of them like Jazz, especially Trika. I sigh in relief as all of them begins to peacefully grace with each other. I love the way their silhouettes look in the glowing sunset. Black, but not so dark so that you can't see them. You can see Rain's dirty white patches vaguely, and the blaze's, Star's, snip's, and snipe's that adorn my horses faces. You can also see the socks on their legs.

This image reminds me of something my dad once said to me when I was young, six maybe. I was sitting on the fence with him, and the light accented the horses just like it does now, only there were many more horses to be high-lighted then.

"You know what Sadie?" he asked me, as we watched two horses nibble on each others withers, and a two month old foal nurse from its dam.

"What dad?" I asked, laughing, as the foal butted it's dam's utter, and she nipped his hindquarters.

"I think that horses are angels from another world. If god created anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself." he said, helping me off the fence, and kissing the top of my head.

"I think so to dad!" I agreed, took one last lingering glance at the horse's, and then ran inside. The next day was Easter, and even though my family never were church-goers, we went for a ceremony. I remember being in awe of all the paintings of angels on the walls on the ceiling. I was confused though. Didn't my dad say that horse's are the angels of another world? Where were the horse paintings?

"Isn't it beautiful?" my mom asked me, as we took a seat.

"Yep!" I agreed, and sat on her lap, "but where are the horses?" I was confused. There were pictures of angels on the walls! What about the horse angels?

"What do you mean?" my mom asked me, curiously.

"Dad said that horses are angels of a different world! This is a church, and church's like angels. There aren't any pictures of horses." I told her.

"Oh, I see," she said, squeezing my hand, "well, maybe in the world that horse's are angels of, they have painting's of horses on the church walls there."

"Maybe," I frowned "when I grow up, I'm going to find that world!" I said defiantly.

I agree with my dad... horses really are the angels of this world. The way they help us, entertain us. The way they are always there for you to cry on. They don't mind if your tears run down their manes. I can always count on my horse's to be there for me.

************************

"Sadie! Hey you, Sadie!" I snap back to reality, and look up. Alyssa is standing by her dad's red dodge, "I'm going now!"

"Oh, ok, thanks so much for coming over." I say gratefully, "It would've taken me ages to figure out Jazz is a trick horse if you hadn't!"

"No problem," she smiles easily, and hops into the car, and pushes the key into the ignition, "those registration papers have to be sent tomorrow!"

"Got it." I wave good-bye, and stand in the driveway, until I can no longer see her truck on the dark highway. I go inside, and sit down at the oak table, with the registration papers, and a pen. I get a blank piece of paper, and make a list of the events I want to enter my horses in.

Jay: Cutting (day 1) halter (gelding 8-10 years) (day 2),

Rain: Trail (day one), halter (mare over 10 years) (day 1), western pleasure (day 3)

Moon: Cutting (day 2), halter (gelding 8-10 years) (day 1), western pleasure (day 2)

Trika: Halter (female yearling) (day 3)

Breezy: Reining (day 4), trail (day 4)

Jazz: Halter (gelding, 10 years and under) (day 5)

I decide that is all my agenda will be able to hold. I sigh thinking of all the paperwork I will have to fill out.

"Just get it over with now!" I tell myself, and reach for the stack of registration papers that sits beside me. I grab one, and take the cap off my pan.

"Event:" is the first box. I put "Cutting " in the blank space. "Day:" is the next, and I put in: "1". I continue to fill in the paper, my name, age, blah blah blah. Then I do the same for Jay. Registered name. Breed. Brand. Birthdate, blah, blah, blah. Soon the paper for Jay's cutting event is filled out. I work through my list, checking off events on my list as I go. By the time I get to Moon's Western Pleasure registration form, I am exhausted, and my right hand (the one I write with) is aching. I go on, writing, until the very last signature is signed.

I grab a huge, yellow Manila folder, and slide all the papers in it. I include a cheque for the entry fees. I don't have enough time to send it in the mail, so I'll drop it off in town when I head to one (of my many) odd jobs. This one is working at a feed store.

I'm about to seal the envelope, when out of the corner of my eye, I see one more entry form. "Do it!" I silently yell at myself. The voice in my head keeps nagging, until I eventually tell it to get lost. I pick up the form, and begin to fill it in.

Event: Trick Riding Day:5, and so on. I reach back into the folder to grab the cheque, and add the 35 dollar entry fee. Then I slide the form and cheque inside it, and seal it.

AN: Hi everyone!:) Just want to let you know that I made up the quote "Horses are angels from a different world!" So, that is ARR (All Rights Reserved), do not steal! The one "Horses: if god made anything more beautiful, he kept it to himself" is not mine. Feel free to use! Please though do NOT steal this story idea. I've been working really hard on it, and some day Im going to make it better, and try to actually publish it. SO ARR ON FINDING TALENT! I know it's rough and shaky right now, but later on, you never know!

Just needed to make that clear! Anyway, what do you think about it? I think my writing quality is getting a bit better. So, Vote, Fan, Comment and Criticize!

-Bella:)

PS: The next chapters will be coming out VERY soon. I've been having sooo much free time lately, and soon I'll have even more, because I go home in 8 days or so:))):):):):):):) I just don't always have Internet because where we are staying for the last few days of our trip, doesn't have Internet. We have a SIM card for the iPad, but we only use it for very important things. There is a caffe down the road that offers free WiFi, so I have to go there to update. :(