| FOURTEEN |

The six lane Brooklyn bridge that connected the two boroughs - Brooklyn and Manhattan - in NYC was packed as she sat beside Amara in the passenger seat of the car. Cars where everywhere. Many people were probably going to their various homes to spend Christmas.

She had not still apologized to Amara, but they were on talking terms. Ruby wondered how someone could take what she had done and still talk to her. Someone older at that.

College had closed for the Christmas break and most people had left campus for their homes or wherever they spent their Christmas. Catherine had already gone to Queens to spend her holidays with her grandma and Daisy had traveled to visit her Parents in New Jersey. Luke had gone to spend his Christmas with his family too. He had not specified the place but she didn't pry. Although she was a little bit open to him, she didn't want to seem annoying and buggy.

As soon as she reached her home, the first thing she noticed was the half decorated Christmas tree on the porch. She touched it, caressing the tips as she walked in, greeting her mom and exchanging a stiff hug. Amara stayed back to talk to her mom while she headed to her room.

Ruby dumped her bags on her bed and closed her eyes to rest. She wondered what awaited her during the Christmas break, she had a feeling that it wasn't going to be too good. She brushed off that feeling. Were her winters ever good? They were always dark and cloudy. Always moody and never any better. She couldn't even remember feeling very good during winter.

Diner came fast and they all sat to eat.

"We will start the decorations in the morning. There's only one more day before Christmas." Her Mom stated after they prayed for their meal.

"Okay." They all chorused in response.

The rest of the diner was filled with tension and stiff conversations. Even Amara looked off.

When she climbed the stairs to her room to retire for the night, she watched her parents whisper heatedly. It was like they were battling. When they saw her approaching, they gave her stiff smiles that did not reach their eyes and they walked into their room, slamming their door shut like it was an armour around their arguments.

Ruby rolled her eyes, wandering why they were trying to pretend. She walked to her room and prepared to sleep. She flopped on her bed with her pj's on and picked up her phone. She had a text from her roommate that asked her if she had gotten to Brooklyn safely. She replied with a yes.

Minutes later, her phone chirped and she expected to see a text from Catherine, but it was from an unknown number. She let out a gasp as she saw the content of the text.

"Hi. Its Luke!" It said. So simple and effective.

She was shocked. How did you get my number? She asked him.

I got it from your roommate, came his reply.

That's stalk-ish ya know.

She smiled as she sent it to him.

I know. I just couldn't ask you. Wasn't sure you would gimme, he replied a few seconds later.

Ruby couldn't believe that she was actually texting Luke. At least she had someone to talk to. She made a mental note to scold Catherine for giving out her number without her permission. A part of her was thankful though.

They texted for a while. Ruby couldn't remember the last time she actually engaged in meaningless banter with a boy. She realized just how fun it was. They texted till her thumbs got heavy and her eyes drooped. And her last thought before going to bed was, Tomorrow is gonna be hectic. And it was. Think huge Christmas tree that needed to be fully decorated. She wondered why they even bothered to decorate. They always spent the 25th eve in a private restaurant room with their extended family.

"Ruby, stop spacing out and help me put this up!" Her mom yelled at her, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"I'm on it." She grumbled and moved to help her to hang a mistletoe.

The day of Christmas decoration's used to be something she looked forward to in the past, but at that moment, she felt robotic. She wasn't feeling the fun. When everything was finally done and they all stood back to admire their hard work. Her Dad had gone out in the morning to the law firm he worked at and wouldn't be back until the evening. The decorations would really surprise him.

"It looks breath taking! Well done guys." Amara took out her phone and snapped the huge tree on the porch.

"I'm gonna post this on my insta." She subtly made her phone face Ruby's direction. A click was heard and the camera light flashed on Ruby's face. Before she could react, her aunt had gone up the stairs. Ruby's slow body took a while before going after Amara.

"Always playing." She heard her mom mutter before she left.

After a while of running back and forth, they sat on the floor in the hallway, drained.

"That was fun!" Amara exclaimed, like a little child and not like the thirty year old woman that she was.

"A little." Ruby said, standing up.

Amara stood too. "I will post this pic of you in huge dungarees, if you don't say you're sorry for everything and I'm the best aunt in the world."

Ruby looked down at her outfit that consisted of extra-large leaf green dungarees with a white tank top inside. Her hair was as messy as it could get, that she deduced from the amount of times she had tugged at it. It was just not Instagram material. And she wasn't one of those celebrities who could pull off looking horrible.

"Okay. Uh- uh... You're the best aunt in the world. " She repeated it with a voice as fake as the Christmas tree. After a dramatic pause, she looked Amara in the eye and smiled genuinely, "I'm very sorry for ... you know."

"You know what?" Amara said smugly.

"Oh c'mon!"

"Just say it little gray." Amara urged.

"Fine. I'm sorry for getting angry at you and not apologizing before."

"Good girl!" Amara clapped mockingly.

They hugged and made up. Well.. they were never apart. 

A/N

How was the chapter?

Do you have any cool Aunt?

Mackenzie the 2nd. . . Out. . .