| THIRTEEN |

There was something about weekends before examination week started that Ruby liked. Maybe it was the rush of adrenaline she felt as she observed her reading day. Maybe it was the fact that she could use that as a valid excuse for her non - existent social life when invited for a party or get together.

Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that she'd been meeting Luke in her work place on Saturday's. And after his confession that his apartment was close by and he being too lazy to cook loved walking over to buy food, she felt a bit giddy. Add the fact that he walked her home when his house was close to the restaurant. Meaning he stressed himself for her - that was the level of sweetness she could not resist.

As she walked back home with him, yet again, on a Saturday, she felt a little less dark and a little calm. Just a little. And that little was just enough for the new week.

"So my sister was like, I saw you talking to a pretty lady, that day I saw you at the airport when I went to pick her up, and she was like 'Did my eyes deceive me or was it for real?'" He paused and looked at her, pulling his lips into a half smile. If she was light-skinned, she would have been blushing. Nevertheless, his words made her smile and twist her hands in an awkward way. Compliments weird-ed her out.

He continued. "And I told her 'It was for real' and ever since, she has been wanting to meet you. She's younger than me but, trust me. She acts like my mom."

She paused misstep but quickly recovered. Trust. That word worried her. A lot. But she wouldn't let Luke see that, so she acted like she didn't hear the word. Ignorance could be blissful sometimes.

"That is probably not gonna happen. If she does, she'll be very disappointed." She said.

"I'm not so sure. You are not that bad." He gave her a side look and a wink.

She chuckled because the guy did not know how to give a good wink and she wasn't about to point that out. "I know," she deadpanned. "And cats can fly."

He gave a mock gasp and put his hand on his grey sweatshirt. "Really?"

She gave him a for-real look. "Yeah."

They both burst out laughing. And she didn't even know what was so funny. She looked up and realized that they had reached the front of her apartment building. The chilly air made her shiver a little. She tightened her jacket and stuffed her hands into her pocket as they stood a little away from the door.

"You know, I didn't know you were so cool." She looked up at him as she said this. Maybe talking to him wasn't so bad after all. Maybe it was just what she needed.

"Huh! And I didn't know you were this funny."

"I'm not funny," she countered.

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes."

"No."

Their banter continued until the stars twinkled and winked at them, summoning them to leave and retire for the night. The day had been a long but fulfilling one. It was just eight o' clock and Ruby was feeling exhausted, but Luke was so fun and she didn't want him to go just yet.

"Guess I'll see you in College then," He said. He looked like he didn't want to leave either.

"You sure will."

"Have a good night Ruby."

"You too." She gave a two finger wave at him. He did the same thing to her.

He gave her one last look before turning to walk away from her apartment building and to his house.

Ruby couldn't forget his eyes. Sure, they were plain brown eyes, but the warmth she saw in them was so much that even in the cold night, under the starry sky, she felt warmer by just the mere memory of the look in his eyes.

Turning, she entered her apartment building. Just before she got to her apartment, she thought, I really need to read my books.

***

Examination in City College of New York meant more trips to the library for many of the undergraduates and others in the Manhattan vile Campus. People hurried about with their business, most of them with materials for study in their hands or in their duffel bags.

There were still some students who sometimes preferred to seat at odd places to read, instead of going to the library and Ruby decided to be one of them that first day of her exams.

She groaned as she saw Daisy approaching her, from the little opening at the top of the pile of her text books and notes, she had buried her face in her books for the past one hour. She'd thought that the almost leaf-less trees in that part of the campus would hide her from Ruby, but it didn't.

"There you are!" Daisy chirped as she sat down beside Ruby on the bench, all tall and tan under the cool sun.

"Hi, Daisy." She gave a half-hearted smile. She just wanted to read and be alone.

"I promise I won't disturb your studying, I've already read so I won't disturb you. Please let me stay." She pouted her lips and looked at Ruby with puppy eyes. Ruby caved. No one could resist those puppy eyes.

"Fine," she huffed. Daisy gave a little squeal and sat down beside her.

Five minutes later:

"Ruby, the sun is hurting my eyes," Daisy whined. Ruby handed her a cap and flipped to the next page of her textbook.

Twenty minutes later: "I might die of thirst and never find my one, true love." Daisy stood near a tree and gave a dramatic show of fanning herself with her hand.

Ruby had had enough. She stood up, packed her books into her backpack and headed to take the college's shuttle.

"See you later." She didn't even turn to look at Daisy but she heard her call out her name. She could imagine her stretching her hands as if to grab thin air. The girl should have done a major in art. Ruby needed to read without distractions, so she was headed to her apartment. Hopefully, her roommate would not be around.

She hoped that she'd finish her Fall semester exams with good grades. And for just a fleeting moment, as the sun shone in the middle of December and during the exam period, she actually felt like it would happen.

A/N

Hope you guys enjoyed it!

Do you love Luke or what?

  Mackenzie the 2nd. .  . Out. . .