Genetics - Chapter 5 (Sci-fi/Romance)

"Wake up sleepy head."

Art blinked away the last of the darkness in his eyes, welcoming light into his world. The voice was soft and elegant, yet somehow very sexy. Art tried to recollect what had happened to him before he passed out.

"Oh yeah. The orphan boy got thrashed." He thought to himself.

He slowly surveyed the room he was in. It was a cement wall with a wooden floor. The curtains had been pulled back to reveal the window and allow light to enter the dimly lighted room. Art gathered his thoughts as he stared into the ceiling. He had been fighting Axe in melee combat, and he was losing. Axe had thrown his axe to get Art to jump, which made him a sitting duck for his shield. If it was any normal shield he would have been fine, but Axe's choice in shields was perfect that day. The shield had spiked on its sides which, when spinning at the speed he threw it at, was enough to make any man fall.

Art released a sigh of grief. He had wanted to win so badly and prove everyone that he wasn't a useless orphan boy. He wanted to show everyone that he could be a great warrior.

Instead he got beat down by his friend in front of a sea of people.

"Now, now. Don't start crying. You'll make me cry!" Art looked at the person who wiped his tears away with her soft hand.

"Aaahhhh!" Art screamed, almost flying off the bed.

"Surprised?" Aunt Matilde said, protruding her tongue out playfully. "Yeah I'm surprised! What are you doing here, and why are you wearing a nurse unif-" Art stopped himself as he saw that the uniform had clung very tightly to her breasts.

"See something you like?" Aunt Matilde said, squeezing her chest stars together in a seductive matter. "Art! You're turning red! Are you having a fever?" She said sarcastically, putting her forehead on Art's. He could feel her breath on his face and he felt like fainting. Aunt Matilde kissed his nose and pulled away.

"You're fine, you just need to let those bruises heal and you'll be just fine." Aunt Matilde said as she walked towards the door. "I'm gonna check on you in just a little bit, so don't go anywhere." She winked and left.

"I forgot how sexy she can get." Art let go of a long held breath.

Art laid back in bed to relax. A searing pain went through his chest as he moved quickly to lie down. He gritted his teeth and pushed his blanket away.

His chest was mummified with bandages.

He tried touching the bandages and winced at the pain. He checked other parts of his body for injuries and was relieved to find none. The shield had hit him on the side of his body, possibly cracking his ribs. He would need to get the exact specifications of his injuries, thought Art. He remembered back at all the blows Axe had done. Almost all of them were aimed at his torso, which was logical actually, seeming as Art didn't really have the toughest body.

A tear escaped from his eyes. He really had wanted to win. Being an orphan boy meant that he was not only an outcast from the City of New Hope, he was an outcast here in the slums as well. He had planned to win the match so that he could actually feel like he belonged to the slums. After that loss, he didn't know how face anyone anymore. He knew he would be regarded as 'the boy who lost to the slums prodigy'.

Art couldn't hold it back anymore.

"Hi Art, I'm b-" Aunt Matilde stopped as she saw lying on his bed, crying with his hands over his face. Her smile faded away. She slowly approached Art and decided to just sit next to him.

"Why, Aunt Matilde. Why is the world so cruel. Why does it always have to happen to me! I've always tried to look at the bright side! I have never asked for pity! I was always practicing just like Axe was! Why can't I ever get it to go my way! Why! Why!!" Art screamed and stuttered, trying to talk through his constant sobbing.