Genetics - Chapter 4 (Sci-fi/Romance)

Sorry for the late release, it's been a busy two weeks and all.

Enjoy, rate, comment and all that good stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The crowd was silent.

Their attention was centered on the three individuals in the center of the arena.

A slim tall but very fast orphan.

A rather short boy in a mech.

A giant resting on his axe.

All the spectators in the arena tensed themselves, preparing for what would happen next. Everyone held their breath in anticipation. One of he spectators let out a cough, which echoed throughout the silent arena.

Art made the first move.

He dashed towards Axe who was wise open. Axe reacting at the last second put his large, lumbering arm in between him and the charging Art. Art hoped up lightly and put his hand on Axe's arm. He used the momentum he gained from the run and twisted his body in mid-air, using his hand as support, aimed a full forced kick towards Axe's head. Axe just flailed his arm throwing Art away like a insignificant little bug.

Lawrence came rushing in with his mechs retractable blade. He knew Axe was a calm warrior in battle, very much different than his self-absorbed self. That's why he made it his habit to use his fast thinking mind to calculate the exact movements that he would execute, along with all the possible counters to said moves. He had calculated his moves precisely while Art was wildly attacking Axe.

"Rush in with retractable blade" His mind repeated.

"He side steps to prepare for an elbow to my exposed back."

"Stop and elbow his exposed stomach."

Axe screamed as Lawrence charged reached him. Axe went flying when his elbow connected.

Lawrence ran towards the downed Axe to continue the attack. "His giant body will prevent him from regaining his balance in any haste." Thought the confident Lawrence.

Oh, was he wrong.

Axe quickly rolled on his front and used his massive arms to push himself up in an instant. Lawrence immediately began recalculating his options. The battle veteran, Axe, decided to use this opportunity to attack the confused Lawrence. They always get surprised by his speed when regaining balance, thought Axe. He made a mad dash to Lawrence, not being the fastest man around, it was more than enough time for Lawrence to formulate a plan.

Lawrence showered Axe in bullets with his burst action rifle on the left arm of his mech. Axe just took them like a tank and charged on towards Lawrence. Axe was right in from of Lawrence when he crouched to avoid the giant swing of Axe's axe. Lawrence released another flurry of shots on Axe's knee, hoping to immobilize him.

What he did was infuriate him.

Axe grabbed the body of the mech with his left hand and pushed it to the ground. He threw his axe on the ground and with all his might, punched the mechs left arm that had an attached rifle on it. The rifle was dented but he would not have it. He continued to punch it with his bare fist until it was not recognizable to anyone. He lifted the mech into the air and flung it like it was a mere toy. He looked at his bleeding knuckles and the dismembered arm of the mech below him.

"Seems like a fair trade."

A stabbing sensation sparked behind his left knee, the knee shot by Lawrence. A second shot was fired by Art as he was running towards the lumbering giant ahead of him. Axe began to lose composure as his knee was bent quite a bit. Art with godlike speeds ran to Axe proceeded to do a running spear on the back of Axe's knee.

The giant crumbled.

Art quickly got back up and was about to release a shot when an unforgiving punch from metal knuckles sent him flying a good way. Lawrence pulled back his blade arm, and quickly stabbed Axe. His arm missed by an inch. Lawrence looked at where the shot had come from. Art lay on the ground smiling. Axe grabbed Lawrence's mech leg and flung him backwards. He quickly got up and picked up his axe. With both his hands he swung down right at where Lawrence was sitting.

The poor boy never had a chance.

Axe looked towards where Art was to find a cloud of dust. He squinted his eyes to try and find the orphan boy when three bullets emerged from the smoke. Axe screamed as they all hit his chest, dead center.

~~~

"Interesting match no?" Ivor looked at Grenfell in surprise.

"I would believe so, just listen to that crowd." Cheers of support for both sides erupted from the crowd, as if on queue.

"My money's on the giant. I won't deny the fact that the thin boy knows how to use speed to his advantage, but the big man just has the advantage here. It's a one on one fight, so there's not much he can do with just speed." Grenfell leaned forward to see the two fighters engage in hand-to-hand combat.

"I have to agree with you there, I don't see how this kid can win. He wasted all 6 of his shots and none of them hit the other boy's head. He has eagle eye aim, but there's no point if he can't aim for vitals." Ivor licked his lips in anticipation. Though he had said that, he secretly wanted the boy to win. He knew because of his newly appointed rules, the kid would never be able to join the gunner guild.

"Oh shut the fuck up!" They both looked behind them to see Guslam spitting on the ground. "I swear, if that boy you call a giant had a weapon fitted for his body and style of fighting, this would have ended 10 minutes ago!"

"Don't be so sure." Ivor replied. "The young lad there has been very good at adapting his fighting style to compensate for every different opponent he faced. Even if he had a better weapon, I'm sure the-"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Shut up with all the analyzing shit. I swear you gunners take everything too analytically. God."

Grenfell chuckled at their dispute.

Their attention soon went back to the two boys in the arena, as the crowd had just went crazy with roars erupting here and there.

~~~

"You just know how to run away Art!" Axe screamed as he punched the stunned Art. He had thrown his axe to surprise Art, which Art manage to dodge but got caught when Axe threw his shield as a follow up.

Now Art, barely standing, was at the mercy of Axe's fist's of fury.

"You have never--" He punched Art in the gut, "Even tried to go what I've been through!"

"Day in and day out, training so I can prove myself! Even after the Neire incident, I still trained non-stop! And what has my friend been doing? RUNNING AWAY! Running away form every fight he got in!" Axe released a wicked one-two punch combo.

"You always talk about how hard you have it, but have you ever stopped running enough, to know how much the rest of us have sacrificed, to be able to get to where we are now?" Axe stopped and stood in front of Art, who seemed like collapsing from just the wind.

"Hey, Axe."

"What?"

"I didn't run away from those." He smiled as he pointed to Axe's fists. Axe shook his head smiling.

Darkness filled Art's world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little shorter than usual but when I went through it a second time, I had to delete a lot of fight scenes because of the horrible descriptions. I may edit this in the future when I'm more proficient in writing fight scenes.

Thanks for reading. Vote, Comment, all that good stuff ;D