Genetics - Chapter 1 (Sci-fi/Romance) <Edited>

Edited the 1st chapter because it was kind of rushed, and I decided to add in more info because the characters in chapter 2 just appear out of no where. So I've added character description to compensate for the written chapter 2. So if you've read this chapter please feel free to read it again. Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Art, you ok? You're not touching your stew. Isn't it your favorite?"

Aunt Matilde asked inquiringly. She was a brunette and very pretty, for a 40 year old. She looked after the Wanderers Inn as a waitress. Art attempted to smile at her, assuring he was fine, but she could see through him. She was good at that he thought. He couldn't relax because in a few days, fate would decide what his future would be. It was the biggest day in a slum boys life. The day that boys who became teenagers would be chosen to be apprenticed into a guild. Each guild was entrusted to train boys to defend the slums from any danger, since the main city, New Hope, failed to do so. Guilds ranged from warriors to even mech drivers. Each candidate would be considered, and put into specific guilds depending on natural ability.

He knew about it all right. He knew about it all too well.

He was never gifted with any natural ability that even came close to any of the guilds requirements. He didn't have a giant build required for warriors, nor did he have the small body to fit in a drivers seat of a mech. The mechs in the slums were a makeshift of spare parts thrown away by the city. The drivers seat was could only be occupied by a short boy. He was quite muscular but was only average in height and body mass. He sighed to himself. This was the case with other guilds as well.

Jack of all trades, Master of none. Well, almost.

"I would imagine he's just nervous." said Lawrence. He sat down with his apple pie and a grimy fork stuck dead center, adjusting his glasses before he started digging in. He was a thin and short boy, always fascinated by the mechs. Always studying and examining mechs, questioning upgrades and comparing them to the main city mechs. He often complained at great lengths at the difference in technology of the mechs in the slums, even arguing with the mech guildmaster. That's probably why he is highly regarded by those of the mech guild. He often shared with Art how he thought the idea of mechs in the slums was ridiculous, though hypocritical still proving a point, as their mechs were toys compared to those in the city. Art never cared much for mechs, mostly because he could never fit in one invented by the slum engineers. "Nervousness is never a good thing, nope, nope, nope."

"It isn't that bad. Makes you alert and aware of your surroundings, opens your eyes." Art smirked at Lawrence. He never did have big eyes.

"Ah yes, in battle conditions yes. However, we are discussing you're guild predicament and frankly, I believe you should be nervous." He was right though. Art knew that if he didn't get picked for any guild, he would be shunned by everyone in the slums. In these times of danger around every turn, men were looked up to for protection. Any man who couldn't do otherwise, was regarded a worthless slug. He would live on the streets as a beggar. How many beggars within slums ever survive?

"Don't worry about it too much Art. I'm sure you'll be apprenticed!" Aunt Matilde said, and scuffled away to the many customers wanting her attention. "Easy for you to say." Art whispered to himself. He looked into his stew and couldn't bare to let it go to waste. He manned up and ate it. The stew felt warm in his belly and he welcomed the rest of it with much enthusiasm. Just then the Inn doors burst open with a shuddering thud. Nobody even bothered to look.

Everyone knew Axe liked big entries.

"Aw come on. Nobody?" Axe shook his head in disappointment. That was typical of Axe. He was always regarded as the prodigy of the slums. He was large in size, almost twice as tall as any man. Most people label him as an idiotic giant. he was exactly the opposite. He was patient and tactical as he was ferocious in battle. He was also lightning quick with a double-handed axe and was agile for his size. To top it all off, he had a body of steel. Anyone knew to keep at least a few paces away when he was carrying a weapon. Even enemies.