Chapter 10: Do you know who Justin Bieber is?

CHAPTER 10: Do you know who Justin Bieber is?

Twelve Years Ago

I stared at my feet. Recently, I had been going through this phase of examining them. By now, I had my toes and the abundance of my feet memorized. Mommy kept asking me why I did so, and I never replied. I didn’t have an answer to give her. Maybe I was just looking at them out of curiosity. Mommy has bigger feet, and Daddy’s, his are hairer. I stared at theirs when they read to me at night. They would climb into bed with me, and hold me whilst they read a story. My favorite was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, just because I like chocolate.

I had been staring at my feet all morning. Mommy was busy downstairs cooking, while daddy was still getting dressed. Today was the first day I was supposed to go with them to church. Big people church, not sunday school. I was nervous, and I was a step away from telling mommy I didn’t want to go. But I did, because I wanted to rub it in the kids face’s from school tomorrow that I had.

I grabbed my teddy from near my pillow and held it to my chest. I slowly climbed off my bed, carefully placing both my feet on my floor. The floorboards creaked softly as I ran across the room, grabbing Mr Choloaskv’s coat from the trunk at the base of my bed.

“I’m sorry.” I muttered to the rest of my teddies and other toys in the trunk. “But mommy’s making pancakes, and Mr Choloaskv wants to try some. I’ll try to sneak you guys some if I can.”

I closed the trunk quickly before I ran out of my room. Before doing so, I glanced back at my bed and said good-bye to Mr Potato head, who was sleeping on my bookshelf. I paused before I began down the stairs. Mommy told me to be careful, never to run down them. I sat, pulling up the ends of my carebear pajama bottoms. After that I walked down the remaining stairs carefully, holding onto the banister while using my free hand to support Mr Choloaskv as he hopped down each step. Such a lazy teddy.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I giggled and high fived Mr Choloaskv. I shouted. “We did it!”

“Did what honey?” Mommy asked from the kitchen. I saw her peak her head around the corner of the kitchen doorway. She smiled when she saw me.

“I walked down the stairs!” I shouted loudly.

As I walked through the threshold of the kitchen with Mr Choloaskv’s stublike hand in my right hand, mommy ruffled my hair. I scowled at her, and glared at her hand. She played with one last curl before she pulled her hand back to her side.

She laughed at my expression. “That’s good, dear. Now,” Mommy reached for something from the kitchen counter that is too tall for me to reach it, in her right hand is a plate with two pancakes stacked one on top of the other, she handed me the plate. “go eat your breakfast, sweetie. We don’t want you to go to church hungry now, would we?”

I shook my head in a no. I placed Mr Choloaskv on the ground, his bum loudly thudding in effect. I strained for a plate, stepping on my tippy toes. Once I have the plate in my hand, I used my free hand to grab Mr Choloaskv’s arm and walk with him toward the television in the living room.

Dexter’s Laboratory was on and I didn’t want to miss it. Though it was only re-runs, I don’t feign the excitement that coursed through me. “Ooo! What does this button do?” I said mirroring DeeDee’s signature catch phrase as she spotted a large red button. She pressed it, and then the lab implodes. I chuckled as Dexter’s lab blew up. Only DeeDee and the button remained, while Dexter’s face is fully covered in the residual black smoke.

“Here you go, Mr Choloaskv!” I said. I tried to feed him a piece of my pancake, but the piece fell from the fork. The thick piece of pancake flopped on the carpet. The mahogany syrup stained the pale carpet almost instantly. “Mommy! Mr Choloaskv doesn’t want to eat his share of the pancake! Now the carpet’s all dirty!” I screamed. Luckily, it was before Mr Choloaskv could rat on me. I wasn’t going to go without dessert today. Not this time, Choloaskv.

“It’s fine dear, I’ll get it cleaned later.” Mommy shouted from the kitchen. I finish my pancake quickly during the next commercial break. I stood with my plate, passing a lamp, I stopped when I heard mommy and daddy talking about something “We have to stop pretending like that teddy bear is real, Harold.”