Chapter Four: Isabelle & Eva

CHAPTER 4

Isabelle’s POV

There’s something very familiar about the young man standing before me. I’m not sure what it is but there’s something that’s pulling me to him and I’m afraid he’s the source of all my nightmares.

Though, my nightmares weren’t as bad as Mary’s, mine were still scary.

Standing in front of me is a handsome man, with short brown hair and sparkling blue eyes. He doesn’t look a day older than twenty one. I wonder why?

Next to him, stands a darker skinned man with black hair who also doesn’t look a day older than twenty one. “My lord, Dante, it is her.” the first man speaks.

Tybalt

The name echoes within me. As if I just know him. Do I? I think I would remember if I did because I remember almost every detail of everything I see. I have a photographic memory and that is both a blessing and a curse.

Some things you want to forget but can’t because of a memory like mine.

“Yes. It is. The teleportation worked.” The one called Dante replies.

I look at the two of them like they were the crazy ones and not me, “Uh, I don’t know why but I feel this immense attraction towards you.” I point at Tybalt. I still don’t know how I know his name, I just do.

There’s a smile on his face and somehow, it warms my heart a little to know my words put that smile there.

“I’m sure you don’t remember me,” he says walking towards me and taking my hand, It feels like electric when his hand touches mine but I pretend like it doesn’t affect me in the least “But I promise you, you will remember me sooner or later, as of now, I would like to apologise for the way my guards treated you today. We vampires are not very fond of humans.”

My eyebrow shoots up and my eyes widen. Vampires.

Yes. Mary said there were vampires here but is he one as well?

“Uh. Are you a vampire as well?” I ask slowly, inspecting his attire.

He looks like he’s a young rich king, my eyes slowly trail the hand that’s holding mine, there are scars on them. They’re faded but they are scars nonetheless. From the scars, I deduce that he’s not a silver spooned imbecile.

My eyes shoot back to his face and there’s one of those light scars near his eyebrow, I wonder where he got that from?

He nods slowly, “I am but do not worry. I won’t harm you.”

I nod slowly, imitating his nod that happened a while ago, “Okay, um. Well, my friend is here as well, could you help me free her from the dungeons?”

His eyebrows shoot up at the mention of a friend, “Friend?” he turns to Dante, “Dante, did you accidentally bring another person with her?”

Dante shakes his head, “No. I did not. I brought, Queen Eva and only her.”

I disregard the fact that he called me Eva and turn my attention to Tybalt, “Her name is Mary and she was not brought with me, she ran away from someone and she was caught by your guards.”

Tybalt looks at me angrily as soon as Mary’s name is mentioned, he turns to Dante, “Maria” he hisses, “Maria’s reincarnation is here, Dante. Bring her to me.”

He nods, “As you wish, sire.” Dante then scurries away to the direction from where I came.

I look at him confused but the rage etched clearly on his face has not faded, not one bit, “What’s wrong? Why are you angry when you heard Mary’s name? and Maria is the italian version of her english name, so you’ve got that wro-”

He cuts me off, “That Mary is the reincarnation of a vile vampiress named Maria and if she is anything like Maria at all, It is better if you stay away from her.”

“Why? What did  Maria ever do to you?” I ask, still feeling a little confused at what Maria had done to enrage Tybalt this much just by the mention of her name.

Dante returns soon after, “Sire, I’m afraid the girl has escaped.”

Tybalt looks at Dante in utter shock, “How could she have escaped?”

“Rhea.” It spoken as if it was the only word that could explain the earth’s annihilation.

Mary’s POV

I’m tapping my foot on the ground impatiently as I stare at Frost, whose very attention is focused on the map spread out in front of him.

The Otherworld is not what I had imagined it to be. I imagined it to be a whole lump of land but apparently, much like Earth, lands are separated, each land is governed by a king, each land is different from the other.

Much like us humans have races and cultures to separate us, these mythological creatures are very much the same. Though they do not originate from the same species, each keeps a good relationship with each other so that a war between species does not arise and I think it’s very admirable what these so called creatures of the night are doing.

Though I’m a little pissed that Frost isn’t answering my question, I can’t help but stare at his side profile. He’s looking intently at the map and somehow I feel this intense admiration for him. He is a king in every sense of the word.

Though he rules very differently than the tyrants in the TV Shows you watch nowadays. He is what you would call a king with a very noble heart.

He cares about his people, he wants to protect them and somehow, my heart swells at the thought that this man, this wonderful, kind, amazing man has been chosen to enter my life and change it.

I sound like a Bella Swan right now but it’s true. Before I met him, my life, or more accurately my very being felt almost...empty, but meeting this man, though never really talking about anything more, the feelings, almost as if dormant inside me are bubbling over and I’m afraid of what will happen next.

When he touches me, the feeling that passes through my body sends a shockwave of emotions to run through me, I had never felt more alive that right now, right next to him.

“What is it, Mary? You sound impatient.”

I roll my eyes, I try to focus on the matter at hand rather than the fact that I have all these feelings rush through me just by the sound of his voice, just by his touch. “Of course I am! You didn’t answer me. Isabelle Stewart, remember her? My friend? Will you help me get her back or won’t you?”

He sighs, slamming his palm on the map, he turns slowly towards me, his eyes a shade darker than the blood red that fills his irises, “Mary, you  do not understand what you are asking of me, you are asking me to save the one woman who Tybalt, the king of that land would lay his entire kingdom and life for. This is madness.”

Something boils inside of me, all these angered thoughts run through my head and I decide to speak said thoughts, “Madness?! What’s madness is that Isabelle and I, though never managing to fit in at home in Shadow Valley were abducted by men, vampire men no less! I was the town crazy before this but if I tell everyone what happened here, what happened to us, I would spend my entire adult life in a mental hospital! The hallucinations, the nightmares, they are all your fault! You wanted Maria back and now you have her! I have her face, I have her body! But I do not have her personality! I am my own woman! and the only one who stuck through it all with me, everything.” I’m tearing up at this point, it feels like I’m ready to burst out crying but I stand my ground and with a shaky voice, I continue, “Was Isabelle! She is my best friend! I do not care if he won’t hurt her, she is scared and confused and I do not want to be the reason my friend was left in a country full of vampires, human blood drinking creatures without anyone to help her.”

I wipe the tears streaming down my face like an angry child, I look back at Frost and the look etched on his face makes me loosen my face muscles from the pout I was ready to give him. “Mary. I understand why you need to save her, I understand why you feel the need to protect her and I will do my best to come up with a solution to save your friend but for now, leave me be. Let me sit alone, in peace and come up with something to help you.” He rubs his temples slowly, a frustrated sigh leaves his lips, “Your temper tantrums will not help me come to a conclusion any faster.”

I didn’t know I was shaking until Rhea’s hands land on both my shoulders, “Come, Mary. The king is as frustrated as you are. Let me help calm you while we leave his majesty in peace.”

I nod slowly, not saying a single syllable and follow Rhea out of the room.

Rhea leads me away from the room and slowly past the castle hallways, She slowly walks me to the outside of the castle, to the courtyards, I inspect my surroundings and am surprised that it’s nightfall already.

The castle windows are always covered but I think that is because the vampires don’t like the sun on their skin.

Rhea leads me to a bench, where we sit.

She sighs and stares at the sky for a bit, as if she’s contemplating on what to say next. I don’t think she wants to say any more than she should be saying. Maybe she wants to wait until Frost himself opens up to me but I sit next to her, sharing the peaceful silence for a solid ten minutes.

I decide to break the silence myself because I cannot wait to get the words out of my mouth, “What happened between Frost and Tybalt, why does Frost seem so angry at him?”

Rhea sighs, she doesn’t turn her gaze away from the crescent moon illuminating the starry sky above us, “It happened a long time, Mary. It was because of Maria.”

I’m taken aback by her sudden choice of words, because of Maria

Her last sentence is still ringing in my head. I decided to phrase my next words carefully because the look on Rhea’s face tell me that after a certain point, she won’t say anything else.

“What did Maria do?” I ask.

Rhea finally peels her eyes away from the sky and looks back at me, she says nothing. She stares at me for five minutes. She then stands up and is standing right across from me, “Let me show you.”

She places her palms on my temples and mutters some incoherent words. My consciousness slowly fades away into nothingness.

                                                      *             *               *