Chapter Three

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things."  -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[ C H A P T E R  T H R E E ]

_________________

My alarm goes off at 6:50 sharp the next morning. I roll over and fumble for the off button. Time to get ready for school, Aislinn. I hop out of bed, rolling my shoulders and stretching with a yawn.

I wiggle out of my pajamas and approach the closet, searching for an acceptable outfit. After some thought, I select a solid black T-shirt and a comfortable pair of jeans. I shuffle to my dresser to apply accessories: a black wristband, a silver locket, just a dash of makeup. Absently, I note that my bangs will need a trim sometime soon.

This morning's routine doesn't deviate from the usual - eating breakfast, brushing my teeth, packing my bookbag, all that jazz. I make a last-minute amendment to my English homework before shoving it in with my binder. I throw on my favorite white jacket and stride to the front door. "I'm off to school!"

Mom hurries out of the bathroom to see me off. "Are you sure you don't need a ride?" she asks, for the hundredth time.

I bite back a smile. "No, Mom. I can handle myself."

"Well, if you're sure...."

"I'm fine," I insist, "really. I can catch a ride with Hayley." I wave and walk out the door. "Bye!"

When I'm far enough down the street, I duck behind a tree. Time to fly.

"Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring! Banana phone!"

I am startled by my obnoxious ringtone. Swinging my bag over my shoulder, I struggle with the zipper and leaf blindly through my things.

"...I've got this feeling! It's so appealing!"

"Oh, shut up already," I grumble, finally snagging the elusive phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, Ash!"

Fantastic. "Hello, Lev. What's up?"

"You know that convention I was telling you about the other day?" she blurts, unable to contain her excitement.

"Yeah...?"

"Well, my parents said I can go!" she exclaims. "And they said you can come with me!"

I'm not particularly thrilled, but her excitement is contagious. "I'd have to ask my mom...

"Oh, you know she'll say yes," she interrupts. "It's next week, so make sure you're free." 

"How much is admission again?"

"Fifteen dollars."

"Cool. Well, see you later," I say, aiming to wrap up the conversation. I'm not exactly a morning person, and I'm itching to get in the air.

"Well, okay, bye." She hangs up.

I sigh and return the phone to my bag. Levia Tennante is one of my closest friends. She is quite the character. Any contact beyond in-school conversations may cause my head to spontaneously combust.

I spread my wings and shoot straight up into the sky: a move that takes quite a bit of practice. Luckily for me, I have it mastered. Before long, I'm soaring above the clouds. As I glide along, I am careful to stay close to a walking pace. Arriving at school early wouldn't do me any good. Also, taking it slow gives me a chance to practice tricks, like barrel-rolls and triple back flips.