Chapter Two

“There is an art, or rather a knack to flying.  The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”  -Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

[ C H A P T E R  T W O ]

_________________

When my wings are invisible to all but me, they fade to a transparent gray. If I were to lose some feathers while in that state they would be somewhat visible for a split second before vanishing.

I squeeze my fist around it the feather as it turns to dust, feeling very confused. I know that this feather is not mine. So whose is it? It might have been the girl's, I suppose. But if she is... like me... why would she be cornered on the ground? 

I don't have enough pieces to finish the puzzle. I can't even look at the picture on the box.

It's a question I've asked myself often: What if there are others like me? Never in my life have I encountered another winged person. This is the kind of discovery that turns your life upside down, and then some. I could have a flying partner!

But what if they don't want to join me? If they're territorial, we'll have to fight... 

I banish such thoughts from my mind. I have to focus the present. After all, there is a criminal passed out beside me. Should I just leave him? He won't remember a thing, but he might target more girls if I let him walk away. 

I fish a cell phone from my shorts. My finger hovers over the buttons, but I hesitate. What if I was to be traced? It's a paranoid botheration, yet I want complete and total anonymity...

Oh, what the hell. I go ahead and dial the number.

"9-1-1, what is the nature of your emergency?"

I grimace at the operator's tone. If she was the one in an "emergency," I bet she wouldn't sound so damn blasé.

"Someone just tried to kidnap me!" I pant, attempting to sound traumatised.

The woman is unimpressed. "Where are you located right now?"

"Um..." I glance around, searching for a street sign. "Richards Road. I'm in an alley across from the craft store."

"Is anyone injured or in danger?" she drones.

Well... "Does the guy count?"

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, uh, the man who attacked me... I managed to knock him out."

Silence. "We'll send someone over right away. Stay where you are."

"Thank you." I hang up. As I slide the phone back into my pocket, I catch a glimpse of the time. My mother will be home soon. It's time to go.

Imagining that I am hovering above the ground, I glance down and see that I am. I launch my body skyward, grinning like a maniac all the way. Usually I have to outsmart a knife, a loaded gun, a gang, or possibly all three. But I am eager to return to flying. I am invincible. It is ecstasy. 

As I ascend, my real wings billow out and catch the wind. I climb even higher and thrust myself forward. Ordinarily, the sheer force and speed at which I am flying would be enough to knock a person out. My brain, however, can analyze hairpin turns that normal humans can't. 

I am beginning to think I'm anything but human lately. 

 ~ * ~ 

When I am practically on top of my tree, I dissolve my real wings once more and drop down onto the roof of the treehouse. My shirt is still where I left it. I slide the garment over my head before jumping through the door.