Chapter IX

SUMMARY: Betrayed by his latest master and mocked by the cruel hand of destiny, Sir Guy of Gisborne returns to Nottingham twenty years after his banishment determined to reclaim the life which should have been his.

AUTHOR: Lexie aka lillianschild

RATING: PG-13/R

FANDOM: Robin Hood

PAIRING: Guy/Marian

GENRE: Romance

Disclaimer: Tiger Aspect Productions and the BBC are free to claim whatever they own of this piece, except Guy's thoughts and my words which are ours to keep. lol.

A/N: Set in an alternate Series 1 where Guy has never met Vasey before his arrival in Nottingham, this fic will explore what impact an earlier acquaintance with Marian might have had on Guy's life and ultimate fate.

A/N 2: Sorry for the very long delay in updating this fic. Hopefull, the new instalment will have been worth the wait.

CHAPTER IX

The tournament continued the following morning, and Friar Tuck once again occupied the infirmary set up in a tent equipped with all the necessary tools and poultices to do his job.

Sir Guy, having finished breaking his fast, decided to pay a visit to the monk. Stepping through the tent flap, he saw Tuck carefully laying on the long trestle table the items he would need to tend to the injured.

“Good morning, Sir Guy. How’s your shoulder?”

“The pain is bearable; it didn’t keep me awake last night. However, it still hurts when I make the slightest movement. I was wondering... There’s some urgent business that requires my leaving Nottingham sooner than I’d planned. Would you happen to have some ointment or poultice that might dull the pain?”

“It’s too soon. You shouldn’t ride yet.”

“I must.”

“Try to make a fist with your right hand, please. How urgent is this business?”

“Extremely urgent.”

“Now give me your left hand. Although there doesn’t seem to be any serious damage, it isn’t the first time you’ve sustained an injury of the kind. I’d urge you to wait at least a fortnight before attempting to ride again.”

“A fortnight?”

“The joint and muscles must heal properly to prevent lasting harm. It’s a slow process and hastening it would be unwise. You’re risking becoming permanently crippled if it happens again.”

“I’m a seasoned rider and warrior, Brother.”

“I didn’t say you weren’t. Still, a man on a horse with only one strong arm can be a sitting duck for the outlaws and thieves that populate Sherwood.”

As frustrating as Tuck’s arguments were, Guy recognised the older man’s advice was sensible. He wouldn’t be able to help Isabella if he were dead.

“I’ll give you some exercises you can do to help the healing process. Take it easy, though, or you might do more harm than good. You can start as soon as tomorrow, working on the movement of your arm. You'll need another week to start lifting light objects,” explained the black monk in a grave voice.

Resigned, Guy told himself he’d write to the Abbess at Wilton to make enquiries concerning his sister’s welfare and whereabouts and, once he got a reply, he’d be on his way. A fortnight should be more than enough to heal and make arrangements to get Isabella back where she belonged, with her only family.