Comforting Struggles

Hiccup climbed up the small hill east of the village, onlooking towards where the cove lay. Hiccup knew well enough that when Astrid was enraged or sad or, just needed to think, her safe-haven was the cove.

Toothless walked next to Hiccup, his walking crutch incase Hiccup were to stumble from lack of rest, his throbbing head and weak leg.

It was early in the morning, the cool morning air was comforting and calming to Hiccup, considering he Hadn't been outside in Odin knows how long.

He walked along, still incapable of forgetting the subtle words that slipped from Astrid's mouth, and how her hand was resting in the middle of his chest, and how she left without saying a word even though it seemed that was what she was trying to do.

What if she ran away when he came to her? What if she would just yell at him again, and they had a repeat of that horrid day 2 years ago. He still loved her, he just hadn't figured it out yet.

With all the thinking her had done on the walk over to the cove, he hadn't realized he was standing at the edge of it until Toothless cooned softly to him, sparking him back into reality him from his endless thoughts.

Sure enough, after he finally got caught back up into reality, he saw Astrid sitting at the edge of the small lake, holding her legs to her chest, resting her chin on her knees, staring out at the open waters.

She then dismantled one of her hands from around her legs, picking up her chin in the process. She picked up a rock, and roughly threw it into water, ripples disrupting the still water. She then placed her arm back around her legs, and settled her chin back down once more onto her slender knees.

Before he could second guess himself about wether or not to go up to her, he suddenly realized he was walking towards her, as if it was second nature. The clinking and clanking of his metal foot was evident, and he assumed Astrid knew that he was present.

She never turned around, She never shifted he weight nervously, she never even flinched as he walked up to her. She just sat at the waters edge, endlessly staring out into it's glistening gentle ripples deep in thought.

He came and very hesitantly sat down next to her, toothless laying down behind them. He was aware that at any moment she could turn around and punch him roughly in his shoulder.

She never looked at him as he proceeded to sit down about a foot away from her. The expression on her face was almost unreadable, but Hiccup could sense sadness in her eyes, something that she never showed at all, but when she did, it was serious.

They sat in silence for a good minute or two, neither daring to look at the other as the awkward moment continued on. But there were things that needed to be said. Things that needed explanation.

As if knowing what Hiccup was coming there to ask her, she spoke with a soft but serious tone, making it evident that she didn't want to speak, but would need to sooner or later.

"I was...out in the woods..." She started, her breath almost hitching as she spoke. She still kept her stare at the water, as did Hiccup, listening attentively.

"I saw toothless laying on the ground , his wing was over something on the ground...I didn't see you so I figured you were out getting something...but it was confusing because Toothless never leaves your side..."

She paused and inhaled deeply, drawing her knees closer to her chest, continuing with her story.

"I went up to him, and realized that he was awake, but he was covered in dirt and had a few scrapes on him... I asked where you were, and he lifted his wing, and..."

She stopped talking, drawing in a breath, holding it tightly in. Hiccup reluctantly looked over towards her ever so slightly. He saw a single stray tear glistening as if ran over her cheek. Astrid never cried. Ever. As soon as she realized that his stare was directed towards her, she brought a hand out from around her leg and wiped the tear away.

She let out the breath she was holding, it quickly escaping her mouth as she drew another in, but slower.

"Your...head was...covered in blood. Your hands were covered in blood...and you...I-I didn't see you breathing..."

She threw her head down into the crescent of her knees, and lightly let out a few sobs, her body shuttering with each shaky breath she took in. She tightened the grip around her legs, seeking some sort of comfort.

Hiccup wanted to comfort her. He wanted to wrap her up in his arms. He wanted to let her curl up into his chest and cry. He wanted to hold her and tell her everything was going to be ok, that he was ok. But with everything that had happened in the past, he don't feel it was his place to do so.

She lifted her head, slowly taking in a breath again in an attempt to calm herself down. Soon enough she began to speak again, her voice hitching more than it was before.

"I-I was terrified, Hiccup..." She said as her eyes swelled up with tears once again.

"I-I though you w-were...dead."

She said the last word softer than the others, and broke into her minuscule sobs again, placing her head in its previous position. Her breath hitched with every breath she took in, and was exhaled with sobs intertwined.

This time, Hiccup could stand to see her like this. He couldn't stand to see anyone like this, but it was her especially that he couldn't help but grieve over when she was in a state of pain. He wanted her to know that he was ok.

He placed both his hands on either side of him, using them to lift and push himself towards her direction. She didn't seem to know he was moving closer to her.

He hesitated for a moment, but then slid his arm behind her, placing it around her slim waist.

Without warning, she leaned into him, as if she was waiting for him to do exactly this. She placed her head onto the upper part of his chest, just a few inches from his chin. She closed her mouth, trying to silence out the sobs as they came out in short breaths. She then proceeded to wrap both or her slender arms around his middle, holding him close. Hiccup gently rested his nose atop her golden locks, breathing in her all too familiar sent of wild flowers and honey.

Then he drew his nose away from her hair, and rested his chin atop her head, snaking his other arm around towards her head. He was hesitant about proceeding at first, but he threw the worry away and placed his hand on the left side of her head.

"Shh...It's ok, Astrid...it's ok..." He cooned softly to her, gently stroking the side of her head with his thumb.

She breathed out heavily when she heard his words, and relaxed her tense muscles into his gentle, comforting touch.

Before long, she had calmed down, her enthusiastic sobs and hitching breath were a thing of the past, and now she drew in the air gently through her nose.

Her eyes were closed, and she continued to stay locked to Hiccups embrace as was he with hers. But it didn't last long.

She opened her eyes, and suddenly reality hit her. She wiggled out of his tight embrace, while she loosened her grip from around him. She lifted her head and looked at him, their eyes locking. She opened her mouth, about to say something with a look of fear and confusion struck over her face. She quickly drew her eyes away, and quickly freed herself away from him, standing up. She took one last glance at him before turning around, and running off towards the village, leaving Hiccup and Toothless alone in the cove.