Chapter 4: A Flower-Picking Adventure Gone Wrong.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CHAPTER 4: A FLOWER-PICKING ADVENTURE GONE WRONG.

Rin's POV

Iruka was called out for some sort of urgent meeting after I stormed out, so there's a substitute teacher, Yamamoto. She kind of scares me, since she keeps glaring at me and stuff.

I swear, she has something against me. I think she's actually waiting for me to do something wrong, so that she can just snap at me. I have no idea what I've done to her, but I try to just to ignore all the death glares of doom.

The lesson is mostly about recognizing certain plants by the shape and color of their leaves and flowers, and memorizing the effects each of those plants have on humans. I've always been interested in medicine, so I thought it was amazing that there was a plant that could help heal minor scratches just by applying the paste of the leaf and stem.

Then, there was this flower, Meiwaku, from a tree. It's apparently used for ambush, since its nectar attracts bees and other pesky insects.

I'm thrown out of my thoughts when Yamamoto says, "Well, Rin, as it seems that you're very interested in my lesson, explain to me what the plant, Aloe vera, can do."

Akira glares at her, silently flipping her off. Aoi mouths something at me, but I can't read her lips.

I sigh and look away from them before they distract me even more.

"Well, Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties. So, it has a soothing effect on damaged skin. It helps with rashes, burns, stings, bruises, and scratches because it helps heal skin wounds. If taken internally, it can help with digestive conditions."

I've had to use it on my dad a lot of times whenever he tried to experiment on family picnics, which is  just him and me. He tried to cook, but almost burned the kitchen down with just a toaster and a butter knife. He taste-tested his food and ended up going to the hospital because of food poisoning. He tried to have a picnic outside in the park, but he got stung by bees and bitten by ants. All in all, if we didn't have a cook, we'd probably be dead.

"Correct," she says, unpleased to be surprised. "I guess you have been paying attention, after all." She clears her throat and turns back to the blackboard, pointing to the lecture again.

"I bet that was just a fluke," mutters a blond kid behind me.

"Excuse me?" I ask, turning around. 

He glares at me. "I said that I bet you just cheated! I saw your friends tell you the answer!"

"Naruto Uzumaki, Rin Suzuki, stop talking in my class at once and go stand outside! After class, I'll be giving you some punishments," the sensei declares triumphantly. 

I stand up and glare at the boy. "You happy? You just got me in trouble!"

He huffs and pushes me aside, stomping outside.

I growl and chase him. "Don't ignore me, you asshole!"

Once we're outside the classroom, I yank at his orange sleeve, making him stop and turn around.

"What's your problem?" he spits, pulling his shirt from my grasp.

"What's your problem?" I hiss back.