Non-dreamer

Most kids start dreaming of their future at a young age. They decide on what they want to become when they grow older and they work towards that from the start. For some kids they turn to have different dreams along the way and have to pick which one is fitting for them. Of course all kids aren't like this. Some kids have to go with what their parents decide while some kids need a little guidance. Kids grow up in different ways and chase different dreams. Layla Harper is a definite exception. She grew up with her Parents Mr Franklin D Harper, Mrs. Lydia Nin Harper and her little brother Jaylen Harper. Layla's mum is really strict and always expects the best from her kids. Layla never had any clue of what she wanted to become. She really didn't think about it much. She's the kind of person who when an idea comes to her head, she starts working on it immediately. Layla worn several trophies in several dance competition of which her mum never supported. In her entire family she was the best cook. It was a talent she was born with, she never had to learn it. Her mum wanted her to be a medical doctor but that never crossed her mind. she wanted to finish school then figure out what  she wants to become but things didn't go as planned. She had a hard time standing up for herself due to family issues with her mum. Often times during group projects in school, she would always all the work. She tries not to think about things for too long because she likes to focus on the present. she choose to be like this because her mum was always screaming and yelling at her for not meeting her expectations. This made Layla act angry sometimes which could lead to her hurting other people's feelings. She doesn't like being judged by her mum. when that happens she doesn't feel good. Since from a young age Layla's mum would always put pressure on her, so Layla started avoiding her. Her and her mum slowly grew apart from each other. They wouldn't talk or hang out.
Layla was nineteen years old while her brother was thirteen years old in grade eight. Layla was closest to her brother in the entire family. Jaylen would tell her everything and she would tell him everything. Layla was a very bright girl. She would always get one hundred percent in all her classes. She always participated in school group dances. She was a big feminist and a polite speaker. Layla would always get chosen for school speech readings.
"Hey Layla can you please help me out with my homework?"
"Umm...no. Ask Dad I'm busy"
" what are u doing that's so important that you can't help your loving brother?"
"Jay I'm sure you can do it yourself, stop bugging me"
"Are you stalking that Andrew guy on Instagram again?"
"Jay shut up and go"
"Alright I'll leave, calm down"
" Oh and by the way Layla I signed you up for a cooking competition, if you get chosen which i highly doubt you have to leave California and go to New York immediately" Jaylen said.
Layla didn't take her brother seriously because he jokes around all the time.
Layla had gone to visit her best friend Abigail. She got a call saying she got chosen for the "Chef Wars Competition."
"Chef wars? That's the show my mum and I where watching last night, season two starts in week. They are gathering contestants I heard." Abigail said gasping " Jaylen is probably playing another prank on me." Layla thought out loud. Layla and Abigail immediately rode the bus back to her house to see her brother. As she walked in her mum was making dinner downstairs and her Dad was watching television. "Honey what's up? Why are you in a hurry?" Her Dad asked. "I'll  tell you later later Dad!!!" Layla said trying to catch her breath. ".......woah!!!! Layla don't barge into my room like that!" Jaylen yelled laying his controller on his desk " Jaylen I need you to answer me and be more honest than you've ever been in your entire life. You said you signed me up for a food competition in New York. How did you do it?" Layla asked anxiously. "Ok..ok, So me and Jake where playing a game online and this survey comes up. It asked, would you like to sign up for a cooking competition? I really didn't care so I signed you in. I had to give your name, address and how many years been cooking for. The was one spot left so I thought why not give it a shot. I also send pictures of the meals you made which was posted online and people at school recommended you. They wrote reviews on how you cooked for the school food bank and we made a huge amount of money. You've been cooking for me my entire life and I feel weird saying this, but I always brag about your cooking so I signed you up." Jaylen explained as he picked up his controller again. "Jaylen I got a phone call from them. They said I was chosen for the competition" Layla said taking another deep breath. "Well duh!!! Did you have a doubt?" Jaylen said with pride. "Your going to New York?" Abigail asked. "I guess so, i mean if I get this lucky chance that I didn't ask for, of course I'll do it." Layla replied. " your so lucky!! I'm so happy for you. I've never been out of California. By the way I have to go home now I'll help you pack tomorrow." Abigail said grabbing her bag. "See you tomorrow Abigail" Layla said.
Her mum wasn't supporting the fact that she had to go to New York. Layla's Dad help her get  a plane ticket and booked a hotel a hotel for her in advance. She was gonna be gone for this competition for three months.
"So what your saying is, if you win this competition, you get ten thousand dollars?" Jaylen asked shocked. "Yes Jaylen, for the hundredth time" Layla replied. "Hey Layla, your Dad said you two should hurry. We need to start heading to the airport." Abigail said as she interrupted them.
"Dad, Abigail, Jaylen I didn't sign up for this but I'm gonna go to New York and give it my all." Layla said nervously. "Sorry mum couldn't make it, she got called at work. Layla go out there and win this big sis." Jaylen said. "Go win for us honey!!" Her Dad said proudly. "Layla I know you well, you put your heart when you set out for something. I believe in you. Go win this."
Layla rode the plane for four hours. When she finally arrived she headed to the hotel to rest and get ready for the next day.