“That’s because it is. Lesley, your instinct in to kill monsters. It doesn’t matter if you’ve only had a day of training, even if you didn’t even practice combat skills. Fighting is in your blood. In our blood. It’s our job.” Max told her, stopping as they reached her door.

“I’ve never felt more right in my entire life.” Lesley said quietly as she opened her door. “I can finally be what I was always meant to be.” Lesley sat on her bed with a sigh, kicking her sandals off with a sigh. Max put the box down, leaning against the bed frame.

“I’m glad you feel that way.” He told her. She smiled, bringing her legs to her chest. “Before we left the house… I found something. I think you would want it.” Max said, digging his hand into his pocket. Lesley looked at him.

“What is it?” She asked, walking toward him on her knees. When she reached him, he held out a silver ring. It didn’t have the engraving of a ring on it; but small trees.

“It’s the Blackwood family crest. It was your father’s. I thought you would want it.” He took her left hand, sliding the ring onto her thumb, the Engraving of a ‘B’ facing upward.

“Thank you.” She said, half in shock and half in surprise. He smiled, then leaned toward her, placing a kiss on her cheek. My god. Two kisses in one day. Lesley thought to herself. Max stepped back then, his cheeks flushed.

“I’ll see you later, Lesley.” He said while backing away from her, a smirk on his lips. He turned then, leaving her to stare in awe.

++++

Later that evening, Lesley decided to bring it upon herself to go back to the training room. The large wooden doors loomed in front of her, and she pushed the doors open, walking in. She had her sword with her, and she still wore the pendant and Blackwood family ring. Lesley had put her hair intoa braid, and thrown on running shorts and a white cotton tee-shirt. She walked to the board that Jace had her stand on earlier, and stepped on it now, letting herself balance easily. This is who you were born to be. A smile formed on her lips, and Lesley jumped off the board, walking over to the series on ropes. She placed her right foot on the rope, and she began to walk across it, determination filling her veins. Her heart beat against her chest hard. She was halfway across the rope now. Lesley smiled again, picking up her pace and jumping the last foot to the other side. She landed perfectly.

“I am a shadowhunter. Daughter of Annabelle Carwell, and Derek Blackwood. I am their blood.” She said to herself in the empty, and half lit room. Lesley turned then, making her way to a metal bar that was mounted onto the walls of the institute training room. It was a few feet above her head; she would have to jump. Lesley braced herself, put her hands above her head--

“Let me help you.” Said a voice that she did not recognize for a minute. She whirled around in surprise, only relaxing as she saw the familiar blonde hair and blue eyes.

“Max.” She breathed, and as he approached her, he smiled.

“Lesley.” He answered. “Turn around so I can help you.” He said with a laugh, and she did so. His right arm wrapped around her waist, then his left one around her knees. “Are you ready?” He asked her. Lesley was quiet for a minute.

“Yes.” She whispered, and Max lifted her up then. She grabbed onto the bar, and She felt Max’s arms leave her body.

“It’s late, why are you in here doing pull ups?” He asked her.

“I don’t know. I couldn’t sleep, so I figured training would tire me out.” She said. “And for the record, I don’t have any upper body strength.” She told him. Max let out a laugh. Not one of his low chuckles, but a real laugh. One the echoed against the walls.