Chapter One

Lesley stepped into the crowded streets of New York city, taking a sip of the cough syrup tasting coffee in her hand. SHe wrinkled her nose in distaste, and began to walk with the dense crowd of people, only stopping the throw the full cup of coffee in an alleyway.A rat scrambled away as the cup hit it’s hiding place. Lesley continued on her way, past stores and apartment buildings until she finally arrived at her house. She had barely stepped through the door when something slammed into her, it’s hot breath against her neck. It’s body had the slimy feeling of snake scales. She screamed and shoved it off of her, running across the house to the kitchen. Grabbing the largest knife, Lesley hid behind the island, gagging as the terrible stench hit her nose. She crept around the island, her body shaking as she finally saw the thing that had attacked her. It was dark and scaly, it’s face resembling a parasite.

It lunged at her with no mercy, an ear shattering screech coming from it’s mouth, which exposed rows of sharp pointing teeth, covered in blood. Lesley screamed, plunging the knife into the creature and up. The thing shuddered violently, then a stream of black liquid began sputtering from it’s wound. Some of the substance hit her, and Lesley screamed again, black spots quickly invading her vision from the pain. She pushed herself up, not looking at the wounds on her arm  and side. She still shook as the thing began to fold up into itself and disappear. She backed up, only to let out another scream as her body hit another wider, more firm frame. She spun around, eyes wide in fear, the knife still being gripped in her left hand. In front of her stood a boy not much older than her. He held a finger to his lips, pushing her behind him. He pulled out a dull tube, then whispered an angel name-Uriel it sounded like- and it seemed to explode into a dazzling, blue-colored, glass-like blade.

Looking at the boy, he smiled, beckoning for her to follow him as he began to walk. She followed, examining what looked like a tattoo peeking out of the collar of his black shirt. Together, they moved through the house quietly. In fact, it seemed that he wasn’t making any noise as they walked. The boy looked behind at her, his blue eyes wide and alert, then he averted his eyes, going up the wooden staircase. Stopping a moment to watch him, Lesley let out a quiet sigh, following. She took two stairs at a time. He was already around the corner and going into her when she got to the top. With a frown, she followed with a brisk pace. She slipped in front of him, stopping him from going any closer.

“Out.” She demanded, and he raised his hands in surrender.

“I was just checking.”He said, then turn around, leaving the room. She followed, not knowing what else to do. She ran into him, and he placed a hand on her waist, pushing her back.

“You don’t want to see this.” He said to her, but Lesley pushed past him, only to stop short when she saw her mother. Dead on the floor, covered in blood. Tears filled her eyes, and a sob broke through her.

“No!” She yelled, running to her mother’s body. She leaned over it, shaking it, not wanting to believe her mother was dead. “Wake up, wake up, wake up!” She cried, her body shaking. Hands wrapped around her waist, and Lesley tried to wrench herself free, but to no avail. They were like iron clamps around her small frame.

                                                                ++++

Once Lesley had hastily packed a duffle bag full of clothes, she stormed outside, not wanting to be in her home. Not that she really wanted to anyway. She was still shaky from seeing her mother, and she slid her thumb across her phone screen, and went into her contacts, finding her best friends name. She was about to tap it when she remembered the incident that happened a year ago…

Savannah and Lesley laughed as they sped down North street. It was the middle of the night, and not a single car was in sight besides their’s. Her best friend sat in the drivers seat, with no seatbelt on. Music blasted at full volume and they sang along without a care in the world. Then, out of no where, another car seemed to have just… appeared. The girls were driving far too fast to safely come to a stop. For a moment, they looked each other in the eye. Tears had sprung into Lesley’s eyes, and she nodded.