Chapter Two

A groan escaped Lesley’s lips as she began to wake up. Her eyebrows furrowed involuntarily, as if she just woken up from a week long sleep. She heard rustling beside her, and her eyes opened. Next to the bed she lay in stood a man who looked shockingly like Max, and a woman who was considerably shorter than him with carrot orange hair. Her eyes wandered over the two, until they landed on the robed figure at the foot of his bed. A hand flew to her chest in surprise.

“Who is that?” She asked wearily, glancing over at the two shadowhunters. She looked around frantically, sitting up. “Where’s Max?” She asked, and the red-haired girl put a hand out as if to place it on Lesley’s shoulder.

“It’s okay. This is Brother Enoch. He wants to speak to you.” She said in a soothing tone.

“I don’t even know who you are!” She nearly shouted, then closed her mouth in surprise. She hadn’t meant to yell.

“Of course. I’m Clary, and this-” She turned to the blond-haired man next to her, but he nodded, finishing the sentence.

“Jace Lightwood. I believe Brother Enoch wanted to ask you a few questions.” His tawny eyes looked over to the robed figure, and his mouth was set in a rather straight line and a stony face. He looked at her one last time, then he and Clary left the room, leaving Lesley and Brother Enoch.

“Miss Caraway.” A voice suddenly filled her mind and she snapped her gaze to Brother Enoch.  in shock.

“H-How did you do that?” She asked.

“No need to worry about that Miss Caraway--” Lesley immediately corrected him.

“Lesley… please.” She said in a quieter tone.

“Of course. May I ask you why about why the demon attacked you and killed your mother?” He asked her, and she looked away from him.

“I have no idea. In fact, I don’t even know what she told me was real or fake. For all I know she could have fed my stupid lies my entire life. Am I even human?” She asked in surprise. If it was possible, Brother Enoch gave her a sympathetic look.

“Miss Caraway--” He began, but Lesley put a hand up to stop him.

“Brother Enoch, please, I can’t answer answer anymore questions.” She looked down, hiding her trembling lips and tear filled eyes.

“Of course. Perhaps another day, Lesley.” He answered, then turned, beginning to walk- or it seemed that he hovered- toward the door, where it closed with a heavy thud. After a few minutes, Lesley herself got up and made her way to the doors, opening the carefully. She looked down the hallways, and it appeared that Brother Enoch had already left. She stepped out, vaguely noticing she was still wearing the clothes she wore when she had arrived with Max.

She wanted to find Max, but overall, she wanted to take a shower. She looked around as she walked, hoping to run into someone Eventually, she found herself standing in front of a set of large double doors. Hesitantly, she opened them. She stepped inside, letting it close behind her. In a chair sat a girl with long black, her nose stuck in a thick novel. She looked up for a minute as the door closed, and was about to lower her eyes again, when she saw it was not one of the shadowhunters, but Lesley.

“Oh my,” the girl said in horror. “You need a shower.”

“Thank you for noticing.” Lesley answered with a note of sarcasm. “Who are you?” She asked.

“That is unimportant.” the dark haired girl replied. “I can practically smell you from across the room. Come with me.” The girl stood and strode across the room and past Lesley, leaving the library. Lesley followed, almost having to run to catch up with her. They wound down a few hallways, then landed in front of a dark mahogany doorway. The girl opened it, and ushered Lesley in, pushing her toward the open bathroom door. She turned the shower on,