Chapter Five

Jace and Alec looked over the body of Lesley’s mother in silence. er entire mid section looked like it had been shredded. Jace had his stele in hand, but didn’t make a move on putting the necromancy rune on her body. Alec was examining every nook and cranny of the dead woman’s body, searching for any clue as to why the demon had killed her.

“Alec, I don’t think you are going to find anything.” Jace said to his parabatai. Alec looked up at him then, his eyes meeting Jace’s.

“I had to check. Now put the mark on Lesley’s mother.” He instructed. Jace rolled his eyes, but did as Alec said, placing the tip of the stele down on the woman’s skin. As he finished drawing the rune, Jace pulled away, waiting for Lesley’s mother to come back to life. A minute passed, and nothing happened. “Jace, I don--” Alec began, but was cut off as a gasp came out of the woman’s lip. She sat upright, looking around.

“Lesley!” She called immediately. Jace put a hand out to her.

“Your daughter is safe, what is your name?” He asked her. She turned her head to him, her dark brown hair flying out.

“Shadowhunter.” She said. “My name is Annabelle Carwell.” She told him.

“Why did the demon kill you?” Alec asked suddenly, and her looked over at him.

“There was more than one--” A scream escaped her lips, and Jace swallowed. She looked up at both of the boys. “Lilith has risen.” She said to Jace and Alec. “The Morgenstern name with shed blood once more.”

“Impossible…” Said Alec, and Jace paled. “How do you know this?” He asked Annabelle.

“I don’t know…” She answered. Jace took a step to the woman.

“Why did you put the marks on Lesley.” He asked. “Did you intend on sending her to the shadow world?” Jace asked her.

“Lesley knows why. In time, she will remember.” She said, then fell dead on the platform she rested on. Alec sighed.

“We should burn her now. She was a shadowhunter.” He told Jace, who nodded in answer to his parabatai.

Lesley and Max walked into the institute, their clothing covered in the demon blood. In her hands, Lesley held a cardboard box with the carwell sword, her father’s stele and witchlight, and other things of her mothers. Lesley still wore her mothers necklace, which she now noticed was almost exactly like Isabelle’s. Max looked at her.

“You aren’t hurt, are you?” He asked her. She shook her head.

“No. I’m fine.” She said. A smile quirked at the corner of her lips. “Are you?” She asked, and Max laughed in reply.

“Hand over the box Miss Caraway. I’ll bring it to your room.” He said, and Lesley rolled her eyes, but gave him the box anyway. His hand brushed hers for a moment, and she blushed.

“Thanks Max.” She said, and he smiled.

“You’re welcome Lesley.” He answered. The two made their way down the corridor then, making their way to Lesley’s room. Him to put the box, her to go through the items again. For a long while, it was silent as they walked through the institute. They had gone into the old elevator and it rattled up to the second floor. All you could hear was the sound of their soft breathing and their footsteps echoing through the empty institute corridor.

“When the demons attacked us,” Lesley suddenly said. “I felt like myself. Like I had been killing them my entire life.” She looked over at Max. “And I’ve only had a day of training, yet… it felt like the sword was a part of me.”