The Beginning

It had been after a case. A particularly violent case – that Sherlock had deduced brilliantly. The murder was so infuriated that he had attacked – him. It was never Sherlock they went after. It was always him. John was fine, of course. Except a knife wound on his arm. It hurt like hell, of course. But he’d been shot before. He could survive a cut. So he waved away Lestrade’s offer to take him to the hospital. He was a doctor. He could look after himself. Sherlock didn’t say anything, just got a cab for them. It was only when they arrived home that Sherlock showed any interest.
John had been sitting on the couch, and Sherlock had sat next to him with a frown on his face.
John looked at the wound with a sigh, and Sherlock gave him a concerned look.
“Are…are you alright?”
John looked at him with wide eyes. Was Sherlock…caring? “Um, yeah, no, I’m fine.”
Sherlock frowned at him, and pulled at John’s arm, carefully examining the wound. “Hmm.”
“I’m fine,” John assured him.
Sherlock looked into his eyes, and John froze – a blush creeping up his neck. Sherlock held the gaze for just a second.
And then he stood up and walked away. Just like that.  That moment was gone, and John was deeply unsettled by it.
He hadn’t been sure what he felt, until later on, when his girlfriend was breaking up for him once again.
“You spend so much time with Sherlock! Why don’t you just date him!?” she had yelled as she left.

So that was it then, what he felt.  He wanted to date Sherlock. He had feelings for his flatmate.