[Prologue] 15 July 2009

Well I figured, it might be fun to write a werewolf story, and I mean, how hard could it be right? So one thing you should know is that, uploads will be incredibly all over the place and inconsistent. I'll write whenever i have the time and patience to. But seeing as I've only just started this story, you should expect another upload in a couple of days. 

I'd really really appreciate some feedback and comments, because that's what keeps me going and keeps me writing. So yeah, hope you find this chapter if even the least bit interesting.

Another thing, I hope to make this story not so cliche. And I guess, I got some inspiration from a book I read; The Perks of Being a Wallflower. For now I have a vague idea of what I want to happen to the characters and I guess I'll try my best to make it kind of like a coming of age story so to say. 

[WARNING] Expect maybe some drug, sex and alcohol references, as well as swear words throughout the story. 

And lastly, please vote, comment and add to your library! I would actually really appreciate any kind of small gesture!

*****

15 July 2009.

It was a normal day. One of those days where the earth moved just as slowly as it normally did, but people were still rushing around, getting errands done and going about their daily lives. A bright blue streak of light flashed right in front of me and I twisted my head quickly to follow it and saw a head of long blue hair running through the crowd. I shrugged, people running around with odd coloured hair was almost a normal occurrence here; almost.

A second later a body bumped past me and I was shocked to feel small sparks as their skin briefly touched mine. I froze and so did the person. Turning to look at whoever it was, I was surprised to find a boy, probably the same age as me. We stood in the middle of the crowd just looking at each other before he whipped his head back and was brought out of his daze. 

He looked torn for a moment, looking back at me before he shook his head and his eyes steeled over. His hand cupped my cheek before a look of desperation crossed his face, and just like that, he disappeared into the sea of people. 

I felt my heart tug at his sudden departure before a hand pulled me forward. I looked up ahead of me and offered a sad smile at my mother. She looked at me confused before she nodded at me, asking silently to walk faster. I complied and stumbled past the people in my way until I was right next to her. I looked behind, hoping desperately to catch a glimpse of the boy, but was met with disappointment when instead a suit clad business man scorned down at me.

My mother and I walked on, pushing past the crowds of people and finally stopped when we found a free taxi ahead of us. We rushed towards it and she pushed past the man who was about to open the door. I looked momentarily at him and offered him an apologetic smile as he stared angrily at my mother.

“Airport” my mother said sternly as I shut the door after me. She looked down at me with a sad smile and hugged me to her side and smoothing my hair back softly, as she tried to calm me down. 

“Explain to me, why we have to go again?” I asked her, cocking an eyebrow at her, and hissing as my back hit the door handle when the car turned sharply and glared at the driver.

“I can’t tell you that. I’m sorry Adrianna, but, I promised your father that I wouldn’t tell you a thing”

“Oh, you mean the father that so callously abandoned us two days ago?” I seethed, as I saw her recoil from me and saw the obvious tears forming in her brown eyes. Eyes that were the colour of chocolate, eyes that made you feel warm and safe whenever you looked into them.

We sat in silence as we drove closer to the airport. My mother was sobbing quietly and uncontrollably as she hung her face in her hands. Tears still managed to leak through and made damp droplets on her light beige chinos. The white shirt that she wore had wet stains on the hem. I looked out the window, glaring at the passing landscape and sighed as I realized this would be the last time I’d see this place for a long time. It would be the last time I’d see the urban landscape, bustling with life 24/7. I was so busy taking in the landscape outside that I hadn’t realized my mother’s sobs stopping.

“He didn’t abandon us” she said in barely a whisper as I watched her wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. “your father would never abandon us”

“Really? Because from what I remember, he just got up and left. Not even a ‘goodbye Adrianna, have a nice life’. Not even a damn kiss on the cheek. How the hell can you just say that he didn’t abandon us?”

“Because he has his reasons, and I understand why he did it that should be enough for you to trust me on this” my mother said as she took my hand in her own and pleaded with her eyes for me to trust her.

“And what if I don’t mum?” I said defiantly at her, my eyes piercing into hers.

“Adrianna Miriam Lillington, you will trust me on this, and I will not take no for an answer, you hear me young lady?” she said. Her voice had a new edge to it; it had more authority in it than I’d ever heard before. Not only that, but I noticed her eyes changing to a different shade of brown, it seemed to glow slightly yellow around the edges of her irises.

I nodded sheepishly at her and tucked my knees to my chest as I rested my head on them. The taxi came to a sudden stop and I lifted my head up to see the airport. 

“That’ll just be ten pounds ma’am” the man said in a thick cockney accent as he lazily turned around and offered his hand out. My mother reached into a brown leather bag she had and offered him a twenty, telling him to keep the change as she opened the door and slid out, holding her hand out for me. 

I ignored her hand and slid out, turning my body away from her as the taxi drove away. I turned my attention to the sliding automatic doors and saw a man with a young boy on his shoulders as he pushed a luggage trolley in front of him with one hand, his other hand was intertwined with a woman’s.

“Adrianna, we have to go, we can’t miss our flight” I nodded at her curtly and followed her as she steered her way through the airport.

An hour later and we were sitting comfortably in our plane seats. I was wedged between man with graying hair and my mother. She looked down at me with a sad smile on her face and noticed that she clutched a photo in her hand. The edges were frayed and they looked as if they were stained. 

She noticed that I was looking and flipped it over so I could see it clearly. It was a photo of our family; Tom, my mum and dad and I. Tom. Thoughts whirled around in my mind and I felt tears threatening to spill as I continued to look at the photo. We all looked so happy, so peaceful and content. My mum had her head against my dad’s shoulder, and his arm wrapped around her as Tom had my hand in his as we all grinned at the camera.

“Where are we going mum?” I asked as I tore my eyes away from the photo.

“We’re going home honey” she said, kissing my cheek before turning away from me and lying her head against the head rest.

Home. Home, as they say, is where the heart is. But I couldn’t bring myself to believe that anymore. My heart belonged nowhere. I had no home; I hadn’t had a home for years now. Moving around didn’t allow that really. So when my mother said we were going home, I had no doubt in my mind that she meant her home; her home that was half the world away and so far away from everything that I had known so far.

With that, my thoughts were directed back to the boy who I had bumped into in the street today. His alluring grey eyes, his light sandy coloured hair, and his full pink lips. I had only seen him for less than three minutes, and yet it was strange to know I could remember his every facial feature. 

I realised that was probably the first and last time I would ever see that boy in my life, and with that thought, I felt my heart stuttering and breaking slightly. Weird. I don't even know the guy and I felt like my heart was breaking from the thought of never seeing him again. 

Enough Adrianna, I thought to myself, enough. There was no chance of ever seeing him again. And with that, my eyes drifted shut, and my mind welcomed the sleep overcoming me.