Chapter One

"YOU ARE A DISAPPOINTMENT TO THIS FAMILY!" My monster of a father, well step-father, says. "CLEAN THAT MESS UP! NOW!"

I do as a I was told. I grab a broom and a dust pan to clean up the glass cup I dropped. I try to hide my tears from the monster. I know that if he sees me cry my beating will be worst.

He grabs me by the hair. "I'm going to be right back. You better get this cleaned up by the time I get back." He lets go of my hair, and kicks my side making me fall on the glass. I hold my scream until he leaves.

When he does leave I keep my scream quiet, so he won't hear. I get out all the glass from my small, beaten body. I clean up the rest before he gets back. Unfortunately I couldn't clean my blood up in time.

He barges into the kitchen. "I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO CLEAN YOUR MESS UP!" He slurs his words indicating he's drunk.

I stand up. "I-I'm s-sorry father." I say whispering.

He slaps me. "DID I SAY YOU COULD SPEAK TO ME?"

This time I stand there in silence, but he slaps me anyways. "I ASKED YOU A QUESTION! ANSWER ME!"

"N-no, father."

"DAPHNE! YOU ARE A SAD EXCUSE OF A HUMAN!" He yells at me.

Here comes my daily beating. The reason I know it's about to start is because he always says that before he beats me.

He shoves me against the wall. I hit it so hard I fall to the ground. I try to get up, but the monster kicks me before I can. He gets on top of me and looks me straight into the eyes, and leans to my ear. "You are going to die soon." He whispers.

My eyes widen. He's going to kill me. I try not to cry, but the tears just flow out of my eyes. He smiles when he sees my tears. I know showing him fear only makes the beatings worst, but sometimes I can't help but cry.

He continues to smack, kick, punch, and anything else you could possibly think of that could hurt me. He even lit a cigaret and burned me. My beatings normally last for 15 minutes, but since he's drunk it lasted for 30 minutes.

Once he's done he stands up and spits on me to remind me I'm less than human. He walks away, and leaves me in the kitchen to rot away in my thoughts.

There's so many thoughts that are running through my mind, but one stands out the most. He didn't kill you. He's going to kill you soon.

I try to stand up, but it hurts to much. I decide to do what I always do and sleep in the kitchen, but sleep is an exaggeration. It's more like I close my eyes for 5 minutes then wake up from a nightmare, and repeat that the whole night until I have the strength to get up.

~~~Morning~~~

I'm woken up by my sweet step-sister, Lisa. Thankfully I got more sleep than 5 minutes last night.

"You need to leave." She whispers helping me up.

"I can't. If I leave he will find me. He will call the police, and report a missing person." I whisper back.

"No he won't, Daphne. You're older than 18, and for him to call the police they will investigate. Which means they would find out about him abusing you."

"Lisa, your a genius, but if I leave how do you know he won't abuse you?"

"He would never lay a finger on me. Plus I'm turning 18 in a year. If he does I will be able to handle myself for at least a year."

I brush her hair out of her face. "My little sister is so brave."

She holds my hand. "Not as brave as you. Now please leave. I heard him talking to himself. He's planning on killing you tonight."

My face goes blank. "I need to pack."

"Don't worry I already did that." She goes and grabs a suitcase from her room full of my stuff. "I put $300 in there too."

I look at her with wide eyes. "How did you get all this money?"

"I got a job. Now you must leave now. I managed to sneak some sleeping medicine in his beer. He should be pasted out for at least another 2 hours."

I hug her. "I love you so much."

She pulls away and looks into my eyes. "You cannot visit me. You have to leave and never come back. That means no keeping in contact with me."

"Lisa, I can't do that."

"You have to. Please. I love you, and I don't want him to hurt you anymore."

"How about you come find be when you turn 18."

"How will I know where to find you?"

"How about we meet at your favorite caffe."

"Meme's Caffe?"

"Yes. Meme's Caffe."

"Deal." She says smiling.

I hug her again. "Be brave, okay?"

"Okay." She whispers.

I grab my suitcase and head out the door. I don't know where I'm going, but anywhere but here is fine with me.

Today's the day where I get my freedom back.

---------------------------------------------Thank you so much for reading. If you or anyone you know is being abused please tell someone who can help. Whether its a teacher, responsible adult, or a police officer. The person who is hurting you can be locked up, and will not hurt you ever again. Be brave.