Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

It was still very early in the day, particularly since Myrtle had been out so late the night before, when the phone rang. 

It was Willow. 

Myrtle's heart lurched when she heard Willow's voice. "I have this terrible feeling that Kojak is in Cullen's yard, Miss Myrtle. You know-tied to a tree. Whenever Jill wasn't there, Cullen tied him up. That's why I had to rescue him. And Red said Kojak had ended up back at Cullen's house again." 

"What about Simon? Couldn't he take the dog?" 

"Oh no, Miss Myrtle. Kojak hates Simon. He can take Miss Chivis, the cat, though. Can you make sure Libba gets the cat? I know she was real sick with cancer and all last year, but she seems better now. I think she can handle pet ownership." 

"Yes, all right. And I remember you mentioning something about Simon and Kojak not getting along. Why is that, again?" 

"Animals can just tell when someone doesn't like them. Simon doesn't like Kojak. I know it's a little bit of an imposition, especially considering last night," continued Willow shyly, "but I know how great you've been with your cat. I was wondering if you could just untie Kojak? Just let him loose in the yard. And make sure he has food and water out there? I really, really appreciate it." 

Her train has missed the station. Attempts at murder one day, asking you to pet sit the next. 

Still, it wasn't such a bad idea. Odd as it may seem, Myrtle didn't have a done feeling about the case. Yes, the killer was behind bars. But it felt like there was some sort of loose end-a bit of unresolved hate somewhere, maybe. And Myrtle was curious to see the dog that had helped spur Willow's hatred of Cullen.  

Feeling a little like an animal rights activist from PETA, Myrtle opened the gate and looked around for Kojak. She stopped, frowning. She didn't see anything that looked like a Kojak. No big dogs. No small dogs, either. But she did hear a mournful baying inside Cullen's house. Apparently Cullen hadn't gotten around yet to chaining up the poor dog.  

She'd come back by tomorrow and make sure Kojak wasn't chained up. Myrtle was just turning to slip back out the gate when she heard. "Whatchu doin' here, Miz Myrtle?" 

Myrtle nearly jumped out of her skin before she realized it was just Tiny Kirk looming over her. "Tiny! You scared the fool out of me." 

Tiny looked like he thought a Myrtle Clover minus the fool might be a vast improvement. 

Myrtle saw that Tiny's truck with his yard equipment was in Cullen's driveway. "Oh. I guess you're here to clean up the yard." 

Tiny nodded. "Mr. Caulfield hired me to clean it up, since Miz Caulfield was dead and can't cut the grass no more." 

"I'm surprised Mr. Caulfield even cares," said Myrtle. 

"Mr. Simon Caulfield hired me." 

"Oh." Myrtle guessed Simon didn't want to be embarrassed by a veritable jungle in his brother's yard. Seeing that Tiny was still looking at her curiously, Myrtle added, "I was just here to let Kojak off the chain. But he's inside, judging from all the barking going on in there."  

Tiny still looked puzzled-even more than was his natural expression.  

"Willow called me and asked me to make sure the dog wasn't chained in the back yard," she finished lamely. 

"Willow?" Tiny knit his brows and leaned forward over Myrtle as if to hear better. "I didn't know you were friends with Willow." 

Neither did Myrtle.