Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Getting barbeque was as good an excuse as any to go over to Jill's house and snoop around outside a bit, thought Myrtle. Bradley was one of those towns where there was bound to be some people standing around the Caulfields' house, talking. And Myrtle wouldn't mind listening to them.  

Jill's house looked quiet and there were no rubberneckers as far as Myrtle could see. The rush for barbeque and Tupperware must have died down. Myrtle walked into the garage and saw Erma's huge cooler there and a perky looking sign in Erma's schoolgirl scrawl that said: "Free Barbeque. Help Yourself!" It had a smiley face on it. It was a sign that refused to acknowledge that a violent death had occurred mere yards away. 

Myrtle also saw Willow there. And Willow looked taken aback when she saw her. "Willow," said Myrtle, leaning on her cane, "I am so sorry about poor Jill. I just feel sick about it." 

Willow looked pretty sick herself. She was even paler than usual and her white hair hung lankly down. She didn't look like she'd showered and Myrtle wondered if the clothes she was wearing were the same ones she'd slept in. Willow swayed on her feet and Myrtle wondered if she were going to faint...or throw up. Myrtle hesitated between recoiling and moving forward.  

"Did you leave some Tupperware here?" asked Myrtle. "Red mentioned something about leaving the dishes outside." 

"I didn't make it over here last night, remember? I had to go help Paul with the cats."  

"Here," said Myrtle, feeling alarmed. "You're looking very sick, Willow." She ushered her over to a short brick wall that edged the garage and sat her down. "Sit here for a minute." 

She watched Willow's pale face and red eyes and said, "Are you here to visit Cullen then? Since you don't have any dishes to pick up?"  

Anger flashed briefly in Willow's eyes. Did she think Cullen was the killer? "No," she said fiercely, "I wasn't here to visit Cullen. I..." she gestured over to the cooler. "I came for some of the barbeque. So we wouldn't waste it. Erma called me early this morning. I brought a plastic container with me." Willow held up a Tupperware container with her name written on the side. 

Myrtle pressed her lips together in a grim line. She bet Erma did call Willow this morning. Maybe it was under the guise of leftovers, but it was pure nosiness that would have driven her.  

"I'm sure there'll be women from the church running by with some casseroles for you, you know. There's a whole army that jumps into action after a death." Myrtle hesitated, then decided to ask, "What on earth do you think happened in there, Willow? Who'd have murdered Jill?" 

Willow gave a strangled sob and Myrtle awkwardly patted her arm. "I'm so sorry, Willow. Never mind, if you don't want to talk about it. Such a shock," she murmured. 

Willow collected herself. "Did you come over for some food, too?" 

Myrtle had the grace to blush. At least she had the excuse of the container. Although it was one of those disposable kinds and she'd never intended on getting it back in the first place. 

Fortunately, Willow got distracted by the bags Myrtle was still clutching. "Is that...cat food?" asked Willow with more interest than she'd shown in the rest of the conversation. 

Myrtle stopped herself just in time from making a face and instead put on what she hoped was a Saint Myrtle of Stray Kitties expression. "Well, yes. Yes it is. I have a feral feline friend in my backyard that's decided to adopt me. And I want to take care of my little furry buddy." 

Willow beamed. "Friends of Ferals is a wonderful group. Elaine recently joined, didn't she? Our animal friends need us, you know. I just let Kojak-he's Cullen and Jill's dog," her voice faltered over Jill's name, "off that chain in the backyard. He needed rescuing. That poor animal," she said passionately. "I'd bring him back home with me but Cullen would demand him back. He doesn't care about Kojak a bit-he doesn't want him happy. And the poor dog would be happy with me." Animals seemed to be the one topic that made Willow animated. Besides complaining about Cullen, that is.