Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Myrtle and Miles sat next to each other in padded rocking chairs on Myrtle's front porch while Myrtle gave Miles the lowdown on Blanche's visit.  

"Okay," said Myrtle. "That worked. But I don't think I can trick anyone else into coming by to visit. I'm going to have to go out and about-go by Fit Life, nose around and listen for some scuttlebutt. I'm starting to worry that Red and the state police are getting ahead of me in the investigation. After all, they get all the forensic information and all that stuff. I'd like to send them off on a wild goose chase. Something just to get them off the scent. Maybe it'll give them something else to think about while I solve the case." 

"And why are you solving cases again? I keep forgetting," said Miles in a weary voice. 

"Right now why am I doing it? Because Red keeps trying to mess in my business. So let's let him see how it feels!" said Myrtle, vigorously rocking the rocking chair.  

"What kind of a red herring are you sending them off on?" asked Miles. 

"I need to have Red think they're finding out something I don't want them to know. Otherwise, they won't do a thing about it. Maybe I could imprudently leave my notebook behind, or my voice recorder. Or I could leave a file up on my computer. Or..." 

"Or you could just let them overhear us talking," breathed Miles under his breath. "Because I just saw Red walking up from the side. I think he's lurking behind the bushes next to the porch now."  

"Like I was saying," said Myrtle in a louder voice, "I just couldn't believe what Jill had found out. I never would have known it except I heard her talking on her cell phone to Cullen that day she was cleaning my house. I couldn't figure out at first who she was talking about," said Myrtle, "but then I realized." She took a deep breath and smiled as she was struck by what seemed like a brilliant idea. "Erma Sherman!" 

Miles blinked at Myrtle from behind his glasses. Then he smiled admiringly at her, "What did Jill have on Erma?" 

"Well apparently, Jill has been doing some cleaning for Erma and poking around in Erma's business, like she liked to do. And she discovered a really horrible medical problem. It seemed that Erma had this awful condition. Something catching, too. Something Erma wouldn't want anyone to know about because it would mean people would actually avoid her." 

"Imagine that," said Miles dryly. "People avoiding Erma. Such a notion." 

"Um, anyway, Miles, why don't we go inside for a little while. This heat is really making me parched and I could use a glass of iced tea." 

Miles followed Myrtle obediently inside then watched as she peered through a curtain. "There he goes!" said Myrtle triumphantly and Red hurried across the side of Myrtle's yard. "He's feeling lucky that he happened to be in the right place in the right time." 

"Think he'll march over and interview Erma?" 

"I think he'll grab Lieutenant Perkins first, and maybe some surgical masks to keep the germs away," said Myrtle. She pushed aside the white curtains and shoved the window up. "I can usually hear his car engine a mile away. Especially with the window open." 

"I think this sounds like a good time for me to go back home and have some lunch," said Miles. "What are you planning on doing, Miss Marple? Grilling suspects? Dusting for fingerprints? Using your little gray cells?" 

"Poirot had the little gray cells," said Myrtle with a sniff. "No, I'm planning on giving 

my brain a short rest. I'm going to watch Tomorrow's Promise. That's a soap opera, Miles. And I might even take a little nap. After some rejuvenation, I'm sure I can piece together all the clues."