Chapter 4

Chapter 4

After we told them, I felt like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulder. Now that I didn't have to keep this relationship a secret, we could hug and kiss in public. The next day we left off on our adventure. I found out that day that we were almost to Cripple Creek, Colorado. We have gotten far in such a short time. We were oing to pass by that town in an hour. But that's not what's got me nervous, Corey told me that the group called the Dragon snatchers are going to be at a club. He thinks that we should go there and scope the scene and maybe find some info about our Dad's whereabouts. I was totally horrifed by the name and something else.

"Mariah, I think you should have Silverwing go off ahead and find the city. She needs to look around at the town and then send you an image of it. That way we know what is ahead for us." Corey stated.

Wait, if she does that then she will be too far away. No, I can't feel that pain again.

"I'd rather not." I said softly.

"Come on, Mariah. We need her to search the area for us." James told me, grabbing my hand in his and squeezing.

"Do you want them to know this weakness in our connection?" Silverwing asked.

"No, they'll treat me even more differently." I answered.

"I don't want to leave you." She whispered.

"And I don't want you to leave but, we have to take one for the team." I told her.

"Team, shmeam, I can't leave you." She said.

"I know. Just do this for James, Brenda, and Corey. And.....for me." I whispered the last part.

"I'll do it....for you."She admitted.

"Thank you. I love you very much Silverwing." I said.

"I love you too, Mariah. Be safe." She replied.

"I'll try. I'll roll the window up. That will be frought with danger." I joked.

"Don't shut your hand in." She said with a laugh.

"I won't. Au revoir, partenaire de mon coeur. Be back soon." I told her.

"I will. As soon as possible."

I switched my gaze to James and he was staring at me. He had an expression of confusion. I looked at Corey and Brenda and they were sitting there waiting for an answer. They seemed very concerned by my silence.

"I was talking to Silverwing. She agreed to go search the town. And so did I." I told them.

I could feel the connection between her and I breaking the farther she went. We drove on down the road and after a twenty minutes I felt pain in my heart. I bit my lip and tried to hold in the tears. I sat in silence as the pain increased to an unbelievable amount. She was 32.12 miles away now and I could hear her thoughts growing weaker. I tried distracting myself by tracing the lines on James's hand. That wasn't distracting me enought so I need to talk to someone. I looked over at James who was watching our hands that were intwined. He noticed me stop tracing his hand so he returned my gaze. I plastered a fake smile on my face but it didn't reach my eyes.