Chapter 8

He lay in bed wide awake. Eager, his feet were rubbing against each other. His warm socks getting warmer, despite his mom always telling him not to sleep wearing socks. He hid his feet as tightly as possible when she came to check up on him, but she knew he didn't listen.

He couldn't help it. His feet were really cold this time of the year. The heater just couldn't make them feel warm even though his ears were red.

He kept feeling out the new blanket his mom got him for his birthday. It was soft against the back of his palm. Just like petting a smooth cat.

He had just finished the last drops of his chocolate milk. A mustache of whipped cream decorated his tiny mouth.

Next to his bed was an empty armchair. For now. It would be filled by his dad when he was done taking his shower.

He loved his mom, he really did, but his dad's voice was more made for reading than hers.

Wearing a long bathrobe and a towel around his neck, he appeared in the doorway of his bedroom. The fruity shampoo scent walked inside before him, then took a seat in his nose before he took a seat on the chair.

Story time was his favourite part of the night.

His mom followed his dad with a cup of tea that smelt heavily of mint, mingling with the fruitful odour of the room.

She went to the shelf and picked out a random book.

To his luck, it was his favourite: The Pet Shelter Boy.

They told his mom to leave the room, because she was a girl and girls weren't allowed in his room. His mom trespassed, though.

She sat by the window, pretending she wasn't there.

His dad started reading his favourite story about a small boy called Theodore FelineStein who ran a pet adoption shelter that had a lot of cats.

Then one day the cat he kept at home and took care of accidentally ran away.

He searched his whole town to find her, but to no avail. He yelled her name along the streets, and chased through parks.

No one would help him look even though he asked a lot of people.

Then one day while he's having a coffee at a local café, he sees the cat from the shop's window, and runs after her.

It was the 100th time he'd read and listened to the story, and he never got bored of it. When it was over, he'd keep thinking how he would have helped the boy find his cat and would have befriended him.

He'd think the same thoughts every time, until he fell asleep.

More soon x. (things will clear out in the upcoming chapters as I'm sure you have some Questions™.