Synonyms: Chapter 20

Hope you'll enjoy this chapter! Picture of Dante at right :o

____________________________________

Zahra’s POV

                “Come in everyone, take your seats!” Mrs. Madison chimed, sitting at her desk. Students bustled to their seats and sat lazily down in them. This was day two since Kenji had been missing and I was getting deathly worried. I tried to take Mr. Moon’s advice and tried not to worry so much but I’ve realized that it’s just inevitable. I stared at the dry erase board in front of the class and pictured myself wrapping my arms around Kenji’s neck, just starring up at his chocolate eyes. Him looking right at me as a smile spread across his lips. I closed my eyes and puckered my lips.

“If you don’t want me to kiss you, I suggest you put your lips back in.” Dante whispered into my ear. My eyes shot open and my head snapped to his direction. He was about an inch away from my face. I pushed him back and he fell into his seat, laughing. I felt my cheeks get hot and glanced around the room to see if anyone was watching. Everyone was watching. Shrinking in my seat, I turned again towards Dante.

“That’s not funny.”  I said, rolling my eyes.

“Zahra.” Mrs. Madison called. I looked up and noticed she wasn’t sitting down at her seat anymore.

“Is there a problem? “ She questioned, before grabbing a dry erase marker and walking over towards the board.

“Good.” She asserted before I could say a single word.

I sighed. This is going to be a horrible day. Brooke wasn’t here today, Kenji was nowhere to be found, and I’d be stuck with crazy Dante all day. The rest of class seemed to zoom by and right before I knew it, the lunch bell rang.

“Zahra, wait up!” I heard someone call from behind me. I turned and saw a girl with glasses walking towards me. I had never seen her in my entire life at this school and wondered what she could possibly want.

Once she reached me, she motioned for us to continue walking to the cafeteria.

“So…I couldn’t help but notice how you and Kenji were so close.” She charged, walking behind me into the lunch line. Thank god she couldn’t see my face because it was twisted in confusion.

“He has never missed a day since the time he’s got here. And he always arrived early.” She continued

I stopped in line and looked back at her.

“Wow, you know those details about him?” I asked, pushing that uneasy feeling down for later.

“Yeah, He’s in one of my classes. Sits right by the window and doesn’t make a peep throughout class.” She smiled down at her food.

I turned back to the food and started to make my sandwich. Who was this girl and why did she pay such close attention to him? I gathered the rest of my lunch and quickly found a seat at a nearly empty table.

“Hey, hope you don’t mind me sitting with you.” The girl with glasses sat down right next to me. I didn’t have much a choice, it looked like.

“Sure.” I mumbled before taking a bite.

As if on cue, Dante sat down right in front of me and I instantly grew more comfortable.

“Sorry about earlier.” He said quickly before noticing glasses girl next to me.

“Hmm..I don’t think Brooke will be happy about you cheating on her.” He snickered, taking a bite of his own sandwich.

“Oh, nah she just came to me and asked about Kenji.” I retorted, blinking at him so he’d get a hint that this chick was weird.

“Yeah, I wanted to know what happened to him. He missed a day of school. That’s very out of his character.” She shook her head, grabbing her chocolate milk to drink.

For a split second, I imagined myself slapping her right in the face. I slowly looked towards her and spoke as calmly as I could.

“You don’t know him like that to be talking like that.” My eyes locked onto hers.

“I know he’s your best friend and all and you’re a bit over protective of him but I do know him like that. I know everything about him.” She smiled so naïvely and it made me shutter.

“Clearly you don’t know anything. Yes, I’m his best friend but I’m also his fucking girlfriend.” I barked, taking my tray and standing up. I had to walk away before things got out of hand.

“Woah woah woah, wait Zahra.” Dante called, also standing to follow me.

“What was that all about?” He huffed, having jogged to catch up.

“I don’t know. I don’t even know her.” I replied, without looking up at him.

Dante grabbed my hand to stop me from putting my tray up and I looked at him.

“I know it’s hard that Kenji isn’t here…but I’m here. You know..if you need a shoulder to cry on.” He smiled. The smile that made me realize how he got so many girls. The smile that made me have a crush on him freshman year.

“I know that, crazy.” I smiled back at him. I was grateful in his attempt to comfort me.

“Now let’s get to our next class.” He strode next to me, putting his tray on top of mine.

No matter what went on for the rest of that day in school, I couldn’t stop thinking about glasses girl. Did she really know everything about him?

------------------------------

I was giving Dante a ride home when he turned down the music in my car.

“Umm..hey, I was listening to that!” I went to turn the music back on but he smacked my hand away.

“Can we talk for a minute? Jesus.” He whined.

I busted out laughing. He was acting strange.

“Oh, I get it.” I paused to look over at him.

“You’re on your man-period.” I finished, giving him an I-know-that-feel face.

“Yes, exactly. So give me your chocolate.” He smirked.

“I mean, some chocolate!” He fake corrected himself before I could say anything.

I shook my head. Why was this boy always so dang sexual with me. He never acted this way with Brooke.

“You know, you gotta stop being so sexual. It gets kinda creepy.” I said, turning into his driveway.

I put the car in park and turned towards him, half smiling. Dante looked at me and a frown creped on his lips. He looked down for a moment before reaching the knob to get out.

“I’m sorry.” He barely spoke before getting out of the car and walking up to his porch.

From the car, I waited for him to look back. Once he did, I raised my arms up in a questioning manner. Once he saw, he shrugged and waved goodbye before stepping into his house.

________________________

Yo, what's up with Dante?! Hehe comment, vote, tell me what ya think! ;D