Getting The Band Together

The next morning, I was awoken by tapping on my window. I looked up and it was Summer, Marta, and Tomika. I opened the window.

"Zelda, you ok? We heard about that accident," Marta said.

"Just a couple minor bruises. Maybe a couple more from my stepdad forcing me into my room, locking me in."

There mouths were open.

"Oh my god. But we have no time for that! The Battle of the Bands is in a couple hours. And we gotta get Mr. Schneebly."

They helped me out. There was a bus. We got in.

"Ok, we're all here for the field trip," Summer said to the bus driver.

"Where's Mr. Schneebly?"

"He's at his house, we gotta go pick him up, come on, let's go, hurry."

We arrived at Mr. S' house. It was an apartment. We waited while Freddy and Lawrence went to get him. He walked on the bus.

"Hi Mr. Schneebly," the bus driver said.

We gave him a big hand.

"Woo!"

"Woo!"

"Yeah!"

"All I wanna say is that I'm sorry that I used you guys. I'm sorry I lied, and it's not cool to lie to your band."

"Come on, we're gonna be late, there's no time for apologies, let's go, come on!"

"Alright let's go!"

The bus was going. Mr. S sat across from me.

"Mr. S, Zelda almost didn't make it here today. Her and her family were involved in a wreck last night."

"Oh my God, you ok?"

"Yeah, just a bruise or two."

"Ok. Good."

"Her step father's been mean to her," Marta whispered.

"I knew it. After the contest, I'm beating his ass."

"No, don't do that."

We continued in silence.

"Mr. S," I said.

"Yeah Zelda."

"I stood up to him. Told him to step off."

"Good."

"That resulted in him locking me in my room and he said I'm cleaning the kitchen everyday for the rest of my life."

"Your mom will leave him. Speaking of her, is she ok?"

"I don't know. Last time I saw her last night, she was being hauled into an ambulance with a shattered arm."

He nodded.

"I'll tell you what, I'll do a stage dive, while I'm swimming, you use my guitar to do your solo."

I nodded.