Tsunami, the wave of sadness

I wrote this children's book after the tsunami hit Japan in 2011. I had some good friends in Sendai that were lost, and I had a hard time processing that. So I did what I always do when I don't understand something-- I write about it. This has been collecting dust in my computer since then, so I figured I'd share it.

[PAGE 1]

When the Creator made water, he decided to give it life. He called the life Wave. Wave moved about and danced in the great darkness.

[PAGE 2]

The Creator loved Wave and did not want Wave to be lonely. So he made air, and gave air life called Wind. Now, Wind and Wave dance together in the great darkness.

[PAGE 3]

The Creator watched Wind and Wave play together, and was happy with his creation. At times Wind would disappear beneath the water or Wave would be blown apart by Wind.

[PAGE 5]

One day the Creator decided to give them a gift. He made land, and gave it to Wind and Wave. He told them to share the land and made the shore to divide their portions.

[PAGE 6]

Wind and Wave were delighted at the gift. For many years they watched over land. Wave pushed against the shore and Wind pushed back against Wave.

[PAGE 7]

Wave and Wind where charmed by the life that grew upon the shore. Wave was the happiest when the little humans would play within his waters.

[PAGE 8]

One day, Wave decided he no longer wanted to share the shore with Wind. When it came time for Wind to push back his waters, he did not retreat but pressed back against the Wind.

[PAGE 9]

Soon a great wall of water began to grow, and grow, and grow. It rose high into the sky and the small humans ran away with fright.

[PAGE 10]

“What are you doing?” Wind yelled at Wave.

“I no longer want to share with you, Wind,” Wave said. They continued to push against each other and the wall of water kept growing higher and higher.

[PAGE 11]

“But what will happen to our beloved shore?” asked Wind.

“I will hug it with my waters, and love it forever,” Wave explained.

“But Wave, you don’t understand. Your waters will kill the life upon the shore. They need my air to live.”

[PAGE 12]

Wave looked at Wind and then at the beautiful life beyond, and he knew that Wind was right. His water would destroy the very thing he loved.

“What do we do now Wind?” Wave asked.

[PAGE 13]

Wind and Wave knew they had no choice but to stop fighting. So they let go and as they did they watched the water and air crash down upon their beloved shore.

[PAGE 14]

For days Wind and Wave wept over what they had done. They watched as the little humans searched for their families and their homes.

“This is all my fault,” cried Wave.

[PAGE 15]

When the Creator returned he was saddened to see what Wind and Wave had done to the land.

“Wind and Wave, because of the great sadness you have brought upon the shore, I am taking you away from here,” the Creator said.

[PAGE 16]

“But who will look after the little humans?” asked Wind.

“And who will look after the land?” asked Wave.

“I will send Current and Breeze to take care of them,” answered the Creator. “Let us hope that they do not become greedy and make the same mistakes you two did.”

THE END