A Hint of Magic | Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

"Dora, get back here, right now!" Her father bellowed. She glanced back and saw him scramble out of the confession box. His face was red with anger, and his vestments were in disarray. She kept walking away and ignored him.

"Satan's spawn," he cried.

She scowled as she opened the doors and stepped out into the bright sunlight. She'd heard that phrase too many times as a child, and it grated on her nerves. She stomped down the stone steps, ripping new ladders in her torn black tights along the way.

She didn't understand why her parents disliked her so much. But they had their own idea of what kind of daughter that wanted, and she wasn't it. She liked gothic and dark things, but most of all she liked magic. She wanted the world to be a place where mystical things would happen, rather than the mundane life she had. Unfortunately, she could always see the illusion behind the magic. Her father was televangelist, and it was all illusion in her eyes. Maybe there is no such thing as magic.

"DEMON!" Her father screamed behind her as she made her way down the street, heading for the woods while trying to ignore his demands and insults.

She sighed as she left the street and headed onto the woodland trail, leaving the church and her father behind. She needed to get away from all of this and find a place of her own.

Birds chirped around her, and the sun burned down through the trees. She sighed, trying to appreciate the beauty around her, but failing dismally. I wish I was free.

Dora lay on the grass by the lake, stretching out in the sunlight and staring at the clear blue skies above her

Dora lay on the grass by the lake, stretching out in the sunlight and staring at the clear blue skies above her. Inside she was burning with anger. The more she thought about her parents and her life, the more angry she became. Life was not supposed to be like this. People weren't supposed to be trapped in a life they didn't choose. She was expected to be a better daughter, but no one expected her parents to be better parents. She felt powerless and alone, and that made her angrier.

She stood up and scowled at the lake. The world should allow for people to be different. The world should allow for people to be free. She couldn't count the amount of times she'd prayed to God for help over the years, but he had never answered. Perhaps it was time she looked to someone else for assistance.

Feeling the need to do something, she ripped the crucifix from around her neck and gripped it tightly in her hand. Her father had given her this when she was five years old, and for all of his sins, she had never taken it off or given up on him. She knew that she couldn't go on any longer pretending that life would get better. God helps those who help themselves, right? She wasn't going to wait for help any longer. She was going to demand it.

She glanced down at the delicate gold necklace that glinted in her hand, and then she gritted her teeth. Exhaling, she glared at the crucifix. "I call upon the armies of Heaven and Hell to assist me. I'll do anything to change this awful life. I don't care who I worship. I'll serve the one who serves me," she cried as she threw the cross into the lake with all her might. She watched it fly across the lake and plunk into the murky waters in the distance, waiting for some kind of sign that her message had been heard.

After a moment of silence, the gentle summer breeze blew strands of her ebony hair across her cheek. She lowered her head. Of course it didn't work. Nothing ever works.

She frowned as shadows appeared on the grass around her. Darkness engulfed the lake. She looked up at the sky in awe as a looming black cloud appeared above her. Did it work? She felt her hopes rise when the cloud rumbled. Something was about to change. She could feel it. The air was dense with a dark presence. Yes, show me the way.

A blob of cold rain splatted on her forehead, and she frowned. Then another one did. She narrowed her eyes and stared across the lake as a downpour came from the cloud and drenched her in an instant with cold, soggy rain. She felt a dribble of cold water run down her nose and splash off it onto her chest. Well, fuck you too.

She sunk to her knees and scowled at the lake. Nothing is ever going to change. She exhaled a disappointed sigh and blankly peered down at the chipped black polish on her nails.

She frowned when they became misty as a subtle fog drifted over her. She shivered as an icy breeze brushed across her wet skin. Don't even bother getting your hopes up, idiot. It's always colder when you're wet.

Dora stood up and turned away from the lake to make her way home, feeling lost and disappointed in the universe. Her boots squelched on the wet grass, making her feel even more depressed. She didn't glance back at the lake as she left the park. Life sucks!

The mist surrounded the lake before it turned green. It swirled behind her in a trail as it followed her out of the park.

**A/N: I hope you enjoy this story, and please vote if you do <3.