Chapter 1

Police Interview Transcript

17/11/65

Interviewee: George Harrison

Of: Kinfauns Esher Surrey

DC DAVID MYLES: This is record number one of an interview taken on the 17th of November, 1965 at 9.21am, with Mr. George Harrison. Present are Mr. Harrison, DC John Dennis and myself, DC David Myles. Mr. Harrison has declined the presence of a solicitor at this time, isn't that correct Mr. Harrison?

GEORGE HARRISON: Yes.

MYLES: Right, well, as you have already been informed, Miss Grace Alice Burgess was found dead in the early hours of this morning by... her neighbour, Mrs. Ada Bagshot. You were acquainted with the deceased?

HARRISON: Yes.

MYLES: How long had you known her?

HARRISON: Not long, a few months.

MYLES: Would you say you knew her well?

HARRISON: I suppose so.

MYLES: Very well?

HARRISON: I don't know. Quite well, I guess. How well do you ever know anyone?

MYLES: She was your girlfriend?

HARRISON: No.

MYLES: No?

HARRISON: No, she wasn't my girlfriend.

DC JOHN DENNIS: But you were sleeping together?

MYLES: For the benefit of the record, sir.

HARRISON: Yes... I mean, we had been.

DENNIS: And previous to that relationship you had been living with... Miss Patricia Anne Boyd?

HARRISON: What's Pattie got to do with any of this?

DENNIS: You tell us, Mr. Harrison.

HARRISON: Yes, I was living with Pattie. But I'm not now.

MYLES: Would you say your relationship with Miss Boyd ended badly?

HARRISON: I really don't see what this has to do with her.

MYLES: At this stage, Mr Harrison, we don't know what might be relevant.

HARRISON: Well it's nothing to do with Pattie. I haven"t seen her in weeks.

MYLES: But you were living with Miss Boyd prior to meeting Miss Burgess?

HARRISON: Yes, I've already said so.

MYLES: And am I correct in thinking Miss Burgess was instrumental in your break up with Miss Boyd?

HARRISON: No, she had nothing to do with it.

MYLES: Oh?

DENNIS: We understood you had ended the relationship with Miss Boyd to be with Miss Burgess?

HARRISON: No. Well, not exactly. Pattie, Miss Boyd was... she started seeing someone else.

DENNIS: So the split was acrimonious.

HARRISON: I didn't leave her for Grace.

MYLES: Yes sir. Well, lets go back to last night. We believe you were the last person to see Miss Burgess alive at...

HARRISON: No.

MYLES: Sir?

HARRISON: Whoever killed her was the last to see her alive.