Chapter 16: Autumn: Road to Recovery

My mom calls me from my room for an actual family sit-down dinner. I can smell the roast getting stronger and stronger as I leave my room and walk downstairs. Both of my parents are home tonight, and it's a pleasant feeling, having them both around.

      Part of me still aches, though, knowing the reason why they're both here tonight. They finally realized that I needed them in my life. Or maybe my little suicide call freaked them out beyond compare. It freaks me out, that I'd ever feel that way enough to actually try.

      When I reach the kitchen, my dad smiles at me and gives me a friendly pat on the back. My mom is finishing up the dinner, running between the kitchen and the dinner table with an apron and oven mits on her hands. She smiles at me, "Sit down babes, I'm almost finished up here."

      Dinner tonight is a pleasant affair. My parents say grace, and we dig in to a delicious feast of pot roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans. The two of them are all smiles, and they ask how school is and if there are any cute boys I like. Occassionally, I see the small looks exchanged between my parents. It's brief, but it's still there. A look that can only be described as fear.

      I shrug it off, appreciative of their effort to be in my life, and I tell my mom all about the new boy at school and how it would be nice to be noticed by him. At this, she reaches across the table and takes my hand in hers.

      "Autumn, any guy would be lucky to notice you." Her eyes tear up, "How could they not, with how beautiful and smart you are?"

      She never says these things to me. I get all choked up at her words that I just nod and smile.

      That night, I have good dreams. Dreams about a future that is wonderful and open, because I didn't go through with killing myself over something that is beginning to seem stupid and pitiful.

The next day is the first day back in school after the two weeks I've been gone. It's only been two weeks, and I'm not sure if two weeks can clean up the two years of misery I've been it, but it'll have to do. I'm stronger than I was two weeks ago. Plus, I am not alone.

     Sam finds me where my mom dropped me off five minutes ago. She runs up to me and hugs me tightly, "I'm so glad you're here today! I don't think I could have made it through this school day if you weren't here to help me."

      I smile, a feeling of elation going through me and I almost hyperventilate, "I could say the same to you, Sam! This is my first day of school with an actual friend by my side."

      Her eyes get sad for a brief second, much like my parents' exchanges the night before, but she sobers up real fast, "I'm sorry about that. Come on, let's go before we're late!"

      I'm worried what people will think of me, if all they will see is the girl who tried to kill herself.

      My worries quickly disappear the moment I walk into first period, and Luke immediately introduces himself.

      Out of pity or not, I enjoy this moment in time. His green eyes light up, "Hi, I'm sorry I never said, well, hi, to you before."

      I smile, "Oh, that's okay. No one noticed me much before. And even when they did, it wasn't the kind of attention that I wanted...." I pause and blush, tucking my hair behind my ear, "Sorry, I'm rambling. How are you?"

      He laughs, "Oh, I could ask you the same! I'm good, actually. My dad won two tickets to the Seahawks game next weekend."

      "That's awesome!"

      A moment goes by, and the warning bell goes off. 

     "Hey...." He starts.

      I take my books out of my bag and set them on my desk, "Yeah?"

     "Would you like to go with me?" He asks nervously.

      My heart drops, "Me? You want me to go with you?" I've never gone out with a friend before. Let alone a boy. A cute boy. I've also never been to a football game before in my life. I don't understand football to save my life. No pun intended.

      Before he can reply to my stupid questions, I quickly blurt, "Of course. I'd love to go with you."

     He returns my warm smile and all of a sudden, I don't feel so awful about being at school.