Chapter 11: S a m

My knuckles turn white as I grip the steering wheel. Ally had told me to meet me at her house right before she hung up. I didn't even have time to reply. Sighing to myself, I loosen my grip on the wheel and focus on arriving to Ally's home. The night is dark and cold and I absolutely hate it but I deal. There are so many thoughts circling my brain that I think I might break down. What could Ally possibly want from me right now? She's been giving me the cold shoulder for a while, so I haven't a clue what it could be. That would be good, anyway. I doubt she's going to join my "anti-bullying parade" anytime soon.

      Minutes later I'm pulling to the curb in front of her home. I turn the car off and pull the key out of the ignition, finding that my hands are shaking a little out of nervousness. This was probably why I never stand up for people who are being bullied. I'm too scared of confrontation. Who wants to be put out there? It seems like standing up for someone is risking a bit of yourself as well.

      I manage to make it to the front door. Ally answers on the second knock, opening the door wide and standing there like a rag doll. Her eyebrows are furrowed in sadness and she sniffles as she greets me, "You have no idea how happy I am to see you."

      Stepping around her, I walk through the door and into the living room. In a way, it still feels like I'm  walking on eggshells around her and I want to be as cautious as I can. But also being polite, I reply, "I'm glad I can help. What's ailing you?"

      She smiles at this, "You're such an old fashion dork. Ailing me? It's kind of a long story."

      I lean against the wall, "Well you better get started then. It's a school night and I still have curfew."

      Ally takes a deep breath, trying to steady herself I suppose. It seems like it's been years that we've spoken when in reality it's only been a few days. Or maybe even a week or two. I guess I've been too busy to notice my best friend not talking to me anymore. I just don't want to be apart of whatever her and Caren do. There's nothing appealing about bringing others down for ones own sake.

      "Caren.... she's got dirt on everyone." Her voice lingers on the word 'everyone', as if she literally meant everyone. Her voice sounds so much weaker than it did over the phone. I really take in Ally's countenance at this point and realize that she looks completely drained. She's paler than usual and it looks like she's been crying a lot. 

      There's more to this story, so I ask softly, "Okay, what do you mean? Al, what's been going on?"

      "After what happened with Tallon, and then with Autumn- something broke in Caren. And it's not for the better. She's created a tape of herself where she's sharing every little thing that she's got on everyone at school. She posted it online a few hours ago. It already has five hundred views!"

      I exhale, only imagining half the dirt Caren has on the other students at school. Trying to hide my dismay at what my old friend has done, I reply stoically, "Show me."

      Ally nodded and left the room, saying that she was going to grab her laptop. While I waitied for her, my thoughts carried on and on. How did I not notice this? Was I really that busy trying to google silly ways to stop bullying? Too busy with my Winter Wishes spiel that I didn't see what was in front of me?

      A few minutes later Ally came back into the living room holding her laptop, her eyes still puffy and shifting back and forth uncomfortable. Knowing her, Caren had probably said something about her as well. What is Caren trying to do? Get the whole school to hate her? 

      Before my judgements went too far, I sat down and clicked on the video Ally had pulled up for me on her Facebook page. Well, here's goes nothing, I think to myself as I click the play button. Sure enough, there's Caren. She's pacing back and forth in her room, her hot pink curtains pulled to the side to reveal the sun. Her hair is pulled into a messy bun and she's wearing a Juicy Couture sweatsuit.