Mission 9: Troubled Teens

Chess was Stiles' forte but that didn't mean he liked it. Chess was a play of strategy and thinking several steps ahead to form a contingency plan for a contingency plan. You needed to analyze your opponent's move, deduce their strategy and break it while you implement and modify your own strategy. He was good at that but he didn't like most part of it. In a game of chess, a pawn was a pawn. He could do everything with it. He could use it for attack, for cover, for diversion and even for sacrifice. And that was what he didn't like about it anymore.

Once upon a time he was a very ruthless player. He would sacrifice any piece just to win. But that was before Scott was bitten and Stiles was pulled into this supernatural crap. Before the almost zero dead body count started piling one on top of another and the people he cared about were one step before their own burial pit. In one wrong situation, they would be forced to take that final step and fall in to their death. Stiles couldn't let that happen to his bestfriend and his dad or any other people who have no choice in the matter whether they were aware of it or not.

After that, Stiles hated chess and hated how he used to play. Now, all he wanted to do was to preserve all his pieces and make sure he wins without losing anyone of them. He would do anything to protect them. That was why he invested all his savings to buy all his magical stuffs. So he wouldn't have to be weak anymore and just stand in the sidelines watching his friends get hurt, doing nothing as people die. He wanted to be strong. Strong enough to win without using any other pieces but himself.

Call it naïve or childish or even stupid. But he was just tired of gathering and analyzing data, and planning and not be a part of the actual plan while everyone he cared about and everyone else get out there and risk their lives to survive and protect him. He wanted to be out there fighting alongside them for their survival, risking his own life for them as they would risk their life for his.

As Stiles entered the conference room, he watched Director Fury watch him with critical care and caution. The Director's lone eye followed him, dissecting his very soul and analyzing it for its pros and cons. Just like Peter Hale. Stiles tasted something sour and bitter in his mouth. A comparison to Peter Hale plus Director of the biggest security and spy organization in the world. That didn't sound like a good mix, Stiles thought. Stiles was sure the man was manipulative, secretive and very dangerous. Director Nick Fury might be one of the most dangerous men in the world.

The only thing making Stiles not run away from him was knowing that Director Fury was one of good guys, despite the shady feeling that the man would not hesitate to sacrifice his life if it meant saving the greater good.

Jackson threw him a concerned look. He might have smelled the sudden tension and anxiety. Stiles smiled at him to reassure him.

Steve guided Stiles on to his seat. "Uhm Thanks." Stiles said, softly and awfully shy.

Steve smile back, "You're welcome." Steve took the seat beside him and Jackson on the other side. Phil sat beside the Director and started reading something on his tablet. Natasha followed beside Phil while Clint chose to perch on the far end wall, his eyes locked on Stiles. Thor sat beside Steve. Bruce chose to stay and helped in Tony's operation.

"Rupert S. Stilinski and Jackson M. Whittemore." Director Fury addressed formally. Stiles cringed at hearing his name. He hadn't heard it for years, not since kindergarten when someone made fun of it. Said someone was laughing beside him with his uncle. Everyone else had a smile plastered on their on their face, except Natasha who quirked her lips on him.

"Shove it, Jackson." Stiles hissed. He glared at Jackson which only made the werewolf laughed some more. Stiles elbowed him. "No one calls me that anymore, Director. I go by Stiles. How did you even dig that up? I swear I had it on a lockdown."